Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello from Germany

Salamandrin

Reaction score
Good evening,

my name is Chris. I am not a native speaker of English, an I do apologize for any wrong or weird diction in my post(s). Also my apologies for any strange "corrections" my tablet nicht want to sneak into my writing to fix English words back to German ones.
I live in Germany, and am a rather new owner of three captive-bred Salamandrae Salamander gigliolii. I habe had them for about four months now and they have just gotten past their first year. After slowly unwinding and no longer fearing they nicht drop dead if I look at them the wrong way, I have even begun to think about adding further salamanders to my home in the future. In my research and reading I have fallen for S. s. fastuosa and S. s. terrestris. Also, I am Interesses in toads which first brought me to the idea of having amphibians.

I have been reading here as a guest, too, for a while. And seeing that there have been some salamander-related posts in the last days, I decided to finally sign up here.

I don't want to bore anyone right at the start with going on and on. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Oh, and not to forget, these are my three mischievous marauders:
0acd9eb0868bdb64b3ae5ce96d0da482.jpg

Left to right: Coppelius, Paracelsus, and Klein Zaches.

Hoping for interesting information and communications,
Chris

Edit:
If anyone can tell me why I can post from the webpage, but not from tapatalk, I'd be very grateful.

Last edited:

Skudo09

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum :) unfortunately I don't use tapatalk so I am not sure how to fix the problem. I am sure you will find lots of useful information here and the community here is wonderful :)

NaterPotater

Reaction score
I'm trying to learn German in my free time, so seeing the occasional German word mixed into your post was fun for me :) Ich heisse Nathan, und Ich spreche Deutsch nicht. haha

Salamandrin

Reaction score
Thank you both for the welcome. After not being able to edit anymore, I noticed "might" had been constantly changed to "nicht" which makes no sense even if translated to English there. -.-'

On the other hand, tapatalk has decided to let me post on here via this. :)

Also I've just learnt that not resealing a glass terrarium before filling it just as a precaution is a big mistake. Now I've had to rehome the three to their "nusery" for two days to fix up all kinds of leakages with silicone.

Gesendet von meinem SurfTab breeze 7.0 quad mit Tapatalk

NaterPotater

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought that was funny. Oh, good.

Oh... NOT good. I've never resealed a tank, but all the ones I've used have been previously used as fish tanks, so I guess I wasn't even worried about it. Haven't had any issues yet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1