Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Strange Breeding Happenings

RandallRock

Reaction score
I just bred a few of my axolotls and encountered a few strange outcomes. Firstly I bred a Wild type with a Melanoid Albino a received an all-albino clutch. To my understanding it should have been a 50-50 ordeal right? Also I bred a melanoid female that in the past has only given me albino, wild and melanoid larva before with a melanoid albino male and what I received was leucistic and wild/melanoid eggs?! At least they appear leucistic. The white isn't as defined as in my other leucistic clutches and frankly some of the eggs look unlike anything else really, like a milky uniform Grey rather than a black. Anyone ever hear of this?

Thanks all
Aaron

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The probability of getting albino offspring from 2 non-albino parents is 25%. But that doesn't mean that a clutch always adheres to probability. Just a fluke. How big was the clutch? A sample size of 20 is a lot different than a sample size of 200.

The milky grey is melanoid. Larvae and juveniles are rarely the dark black. Since melanoid is a recessive gene, if you breed two melanoids together, you'll get all melanoid offspring (either white, albino, or dark).

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Google "punnet square"; it is a neat little tool for predicting genetic cross outcomes, however, like Kaysie said there are a ton of other factors that will determine how many and what colors make it to the all important "4 leg stage".

Truthfully, without knowing geno and phenotypes of the parentage a generation or two back, breeding axolotls can be a real crapshoot.

For example, my original breeding pair were a xanthic albino female and a leucistic male. They consistently threw albinos and xanthic albinos with a smattering of leucistics. Out of 13 spawnings I kept records of, only two threw wild types that survived past the first week, and only one of those had any wild types that made it to the four leg stage.

RandallRock

Reaction score
Thanks you guys. Kaysie, There is at least 500 in the clutch and every last one is albino. I also just mated the wild male in question with a lucy and got Lucy eggs so I have a versatile male on my hands.
sludge, Thanks for the info as well.

Aaron

ferret_corner

Reaction score
The Laws of Axolotl :
1. If it moves: eat it. If it does not move: gulp it up and eat it anyway.
2. If it too big to fit in the mouth, try any way. Then see rule number one.
3. All other animals, including other axolotls, are fair game if they meet the requirements of rules one and two.

This is FUNNY! & true!! LOL

I tried to say this in a visitor message but I kept getting an error...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1