Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Connecting with Ambystoma mexicanum

Fumi

Reaction score
Hey guys! I mentioned in a thread a few days ago that my axie has been hand feeding which I'm delighted about as I feel that this helps to grow a bond with her. When I say bond, I mean that I'm her food provider and she knows it. I also mentioned that often she swims up to my hand and thoroughly inspects it. Regularly bumping into it. A few times after swimming to the surface, she has glided down and ended up laying on my hand for a while. I mentioned this and someone said that too much physical contact with humans can harm the axies skin. I also read the other day that axolotls secrete a sort of poison from their skin. It didn't say much more than this, but I have sensitive skin and I've not noticed anything strange going on with my hand.

Then today, after a morning of cooling her tank with ice blocks, I tried giving her some food. She took what I offered and promptly spat it out, quite disinterested in it. Then she saw my hand and swam straight over to me and started rubbing herself on me in the way that a cat would! What is up with her? From what I've read this is very weird behaviour for an axolotl. Is it something I'm doing? Is there something I should be doing? Or does my axie think she's one of my cats?

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Fumi,

Your axie probably just associates you with feeding time. It is ok to hand feed your axie, but not advised to touch their skin unnecessarily.

Cheers.

Fumi

Reaction score
It's her that's touching me though. Not that I'm passing the blame or anything. :p And she does it even when she doesn't want any food. She sees me, swims straight over and rubs on my hand.... Strange little thing ;)

Kerry1968

Reaction score
I know it really should be frowned upon, but that is so sweet! I think you have a very affectionate axie! I don't think they can really show affection, they don't have such human qualities, but h*ll if you enjoy it and it doesn't cause her any harm, go with it!

Just keep trying to offer her food after the last refusal, when she's hungry enough I'm sure she'll take it.

melfly

Reaction score
I have one that does this too altho since getting a bit older has become a lil more aggressive at my hand lol

He used to feed out of a pipette but had started really attacking it and i'm worried he'll hurt himself!

But it is lovely when he see's me and begs up as if 'feed me lady'!! haha

Enjoy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!