Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What is up with this axie?

Spartacus

Reaction score
Someone showed me these pics of their axolotl who has completely changed colour.
It started off quite pale, then looked quite wildtype, now it looks like a smudgy luecistic!
What is going on? My own axie Haku changed colours a little, looking half leucistic and half wildtype when he was little, and is now a dirty faced leucistic, but his transformation is nothing like this!

Does anyone know anything about this? Is it a unique type of axie?
tumblr_my5jwdCZtH1rdilhwo2_500.jpg

tumblr_my5jwdCZtH1rdilhwo3_500.jpg

tumblr_my5jwdCZtH1rdilhwo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_my5jwdCZtH1rdilhwo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_my5jwdCZtH1rdilhwo1_500.jpg

The photos are all the same axie, the last one is his current look. Do you think he'll loose his colour completely?

digitalxri0t

Reaction score
Is he...mint green in those first two pictures..? That's the oddest thing I've ever seen, but so cool! I wonder if he's a piebald or harlequin. I don't have much knowledge on them so I can't be sure, maybe someone else will correct me.

auntiejude

Reaction score
I can only assume it's the axie equivalent of vitiligo - where the body stops producing pigment. I have no idea of the mechanism or genetics though.

He looks happy and healthy enough though :)

digitalxri0t

Reaction score
That's a fascinating thought. I'm not sure if something like that is possible with axolotls/fish but if it is..I want a magical changing axolotl. lol

VandytXain

Reaction score
Hello!

This is my axolotl, and I can say I was very surprised when this started happening. I thought a slight change in darkness wasn't so extremely weird, but I am still baffled that he is loosing more and more of his colour and seems to be heading towards all white.
It's a fascinating thought that it might be the equivalent of Vitiligo.

~Kai

Spartacus

Reaction score
Oh, didn't realise people had replied! Thanks for your input guys, and especially Julia for the links! It's very interesting to see this has happened to a few people!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1