Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axie Personality

MoniWonton

Reaction score
So I've had my axies a little over a month now. To me they seem to have very distinct personalities:

Flex (melanoid) is a scavenger, always searching and swimming in and out of plants. He enjoys exploring and finds hides the other is oblivious to. When he eats he singles out individual worms instead of the larger masses. Even when I feed them directly he will shake his head dispersing the worms around the tank, then hunts them down individually. He seems to be a more agile swimmer. He also like to stalk my hand whenever I'm cleaning the tank :lol:

Rocket (leucistic) is more laid back. He's fatter, and spends a good part of the day lounging in the bottom level hide. When it's feeding time he gobbles up as much as possible at once and returns to his business. When he swims it's pretty funny, he's rather goofy looking and uses his arms like little paddles. He likes to swim up just beneath the surface and look about.

This brings me to my inquiry... Am I just imagining they are unique and adorable, or do axolotls maintain persinalities to some extent? My brain tells me no, this is a salamander, and you are humanizing basic instincts. However, many hobbyist swear up and down they are little individuals! What do yal think?

MoniWonton

Reaction score
Bump, bump the jam, bump it up while your feet are stomping....

A little Technotronic remix to bump my post... :proud:;):D

NaterPotater

Reaction score
many hobbyist swear up and down they are little individuals! What do yal think?

It's easy to see differences in behavior and what could be called personality :) sure, we can't map it out like introvert/extrovert, judging/perceiving, and all that jazz... but they've can definitely have distinct quirks :)

My leucistic juvie, Apollos, will almost always come right up to the glass if I come near the tank. He's always hungry, and he was the first of the three siblings to swim right up to my hand and bite me. haha. I just let him do it, and he nipped me like 20 times. He's my little buddy, and he's very curious.

My wild type juvie, Artemis, is a little chubber. He was aggressive toward his two siblings at first, but he got over that and is a little peach now. He likes to swim up onto the little shower shelf I have in the tank much more often than his two siblings.

And then Xenas, my white albino juvie, is completely different. Very shy and usually sticks to himself. He doesn't mind the other two, but he doesn't exactly seek them out to play like they do with each other (and with him sometimes).

Last but not least, my adult male wild type, Titus, is a big grumpy guy! He always looks right at me if I come anywhere near the tank, and he'll turn to follow me if I move around, but every once in a while he'll snap at the glass if I poke it with my finger. haha. I have him separated from the juveniles right now because I'm 90% sure he'd attack them... haha

If you see little "personality" differences between your axolotls, that's awesome because it makes it that much more fun to have more than one!

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Also, Axolotls relate humans to food, so that's where you get them following or 'staring' as they expect food when they sense humans are near.

Poking at the glass can make them snap as it tricks them into thinking there is food in front of them, my girlfriend runs here finger along the side of the tank the Axi's will follow intently hoping its going to result in food

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!