Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Very sick and very quick: HELP

JealousVixy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I am a new member from so long ago, and while I havn't been keeping up to date with posting and my profile as life has been hectic, without hesitation you are my first call when I am absolutely at a loss of what to do for my aqua babies. And this is certainly one of those times. My youngest axolotl Viserys was doing fine, eating well (though hes still quite skinny as I have been trying to bulk him up since I've got him) but just today he has come up with aweful red marks around these white fluffy bits, his gills are red and inflames and hes generally red all over. He's still responsive and begs for food but wont snap at it. I have already done a 50% water change, and am just wondering what my next course of action is. We are struggling with the heat here at the moment, so that's surely stressing him, but the other 2 axys aren't affected at all. I tested the water only yesterday and the only thing out of ordinary was a higher amount of nitrate than normal, which has gone down with the water change, otherwise everything good. Should I isolate him? I have only a tiny 15L tank but with only an uncycled filter? The heat would probably be worse in the smaller tank too. Or should I fridge him or salt bath him? Sorry for the long post, I am just extremely concerned.

JealousVixy

Reaction score
Here are some pictures:

27398742_2169951736352011_519041074_o.jpg

27479632_2169951779685340_1689136407_o.jpg

27479966_2169951796352005_1122137859_o.jpg

DSaxolotl

Reaction score
Hello,

That axolotl does not look good at all! Skin patches, possible bulging of the eyes? cant really tell from the pic angle and missing bits of the tail.

However if that was mine I would separate and quarantine it asap!

1.What are you water parameters and temperatures?
PH:
Ammonia:
Nitrites:
Nitrates:
Temperature:

I would also look into possible broad spectrum treatment that will address bacterial/fungal issues because that skin condition does not looks good at all, especially if its happening and progressing fast in day or two.

15L is not a ideal but it would work as short term QT tank, even if its not cycled you can seed it with part if your existing cycled tank. If you resort to meds you will probably nuke the beneficial bacteria in it regardless. I myself have a axie in QT right now and doing ~70% water changes on a daily basis to keep up with the water quality.

Do daily water changes with de-chlorinated water (API Prime) does wonders and also helps short term with ammonia spikes.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!