Question: HELP! UNwanted guest/snail pest!

alindlaiyne

Reaction score
Country
United States
Today I fished out what I thought was a stray food pellet in my tank only to find out its actually a snail! In any other tank I would be fine with this, but not in a lotl tank, as I dont want them to eat them and get impacted.

It was only one snail, but I still worry there may already be eggs in my tank. I have no live plants, but it is possible that this guy somehow rode in with the feeder shrimp I bought..I wont be buying feeder shrimp anymore thats for sure!

So what I am asking is, how do I treat an infestation if one should occur? Can I treat the water somehow? Or is my only option to just pick them out if there are indeed others?

The snail is very small. Smaller than a pea. Its body looks to be clear but I am not sure. Its shell also looks clear but has dark spots on it. I put the snail in a cup of water with my avocado pits for now. Maybe as it gets bigger I will be able to better identify it. I like snails, and will probably just keep the little guy. But what do I do about the tank?

You could leave it in your tank :D
I always have snails with my animals, most will get eaten. If you are concerned you can hand pick them out, some people place a lettuce leaf in your tank to attract the snails.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back