Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ambystoma mexicanum - injury

A

aimee

Decided to re-furbish my axolotl tank last night and my leucistic decided to go and beat himself up.

Here he is in his holding tank looking nice and healthy:

7239.jpg

Heres the tank re-furbished with no inhabitants yet:

7240.jpg

And then he goes and bashes his leg up:

7241.jpg

7242.jpg

7243.jpg

7244.jpg

He didn't injure his leg in the main tank. I have a feeling he either got into a fight and came off worse or one of the others snapped at him. It looks a bit horrible and I know he is in pain. You can see from the picture his back end is floating and he won't use his injured leg when he walks.
To prevent infections or it getting worse should I give him a salt bath? I havn't done this yet as I thought it might stress him more than necessary right now, plus he is still getting used to having sand to grip on to walk. I will be seperating him from the others soon to help him heal in peace.
Thanks - any advice welcome.

D

duo

pore little guy i'm very sorry for your little guy(looks kinda big though) but still good luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!