Is my axie sick?

bobe70

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have owned two axolotl of ra couple of days now, they are only a couple of months old and look like they need a good feed... I have been giving them a couple of 'cubes' of frozen blood worm, which they seem to be gobbling up with no problems.

Today I have been out all day and when i returned, i noticed that one of my axolotl was floating on the top of the water. He was motionless for a few minutes and I thought he was dead... i turned the filter on and he started to move and eventually swam down to the bottom of the tank!

He doen't look ill and the other axie looks and acts perfectly normal, so im not sure why he would be acting like this... do axies normally lie motionless on the top of the water?? :confused:

This is quite normal. They float on the top for various reasons which I'm sure other people may be able to tell you better than I. Just as long as its not floating upside down, water conditions are fine, the tanks oxeginated and they seem healthy, then I'd say they're fine.

If the filter was off, it could have been that there was less oxygen in the water than what they are used to. Mine tend to float when the filter is off (no oxygen) or when they swallow some air. It's perfectly normal behaviour. Just double check your water parameters but, it CAN be a sign of distress...

Keep an eye on him mate, some do tend to enjoy floating - but as infested said; double check water and look for signs of stress.

What concerns me for your post is you say he "eventually swam down to the bottom of the tank"; is he slow? lathargic? ...but hopefully, he's just a lazy floater :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back