Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Singing??

R

richard

Do Pac Man and Fire belly toads sing? If so are they very loud? If they are i don't need a whole cacaphony of noise in my basement.

R

rodrigo

Male fire belly toads do make noise. It´s a little annoying if you ask me...though not very loud.

thomas

Reaction score
I like the sound of the firebelly toads, soft chirp, nothing like some others I have, P crucifer and P brachyphona can be very annoying at 3 in the morning , And always sets off the I can call louder then you can response in all my frogs!

N

nicole

I love listening to my fire-bellied toads. Like Thomas said, very soft chirp unless they are mating. Then it gets a tad bit louder and gets the attention of the cat.

pygmycory

Reaction score
Do they sing at night or during the day? Can females be easily told apart from males?

Pugnator

Reaction score
Do they sing at night or during the day? Can females be easily told apart from males?

Fire belly toad sing when they want to mate or when they want. It is very soft and you can easly keep their terrarium in your bed room. Only male sing and they can't be easly tell apart (Only male sing and male has nuptial pads on fingers..
Regarding Pacman Frog the female is bigger and male have dark throats. Male usually sing much more time but also female do. The Pacman frog are diurnal so sing almost only on day while Fire belly toad depend on their personal temper, every Bombina is different and they should be active both on day and night(Instead of long sleep they do different snaps )

ArnoldTheMander

Reaction score
Well yes it depends on the age size and how much they’ve matured but most of the time a female is much larger than a male has these strange patches on his thumb during the breeding season. Which is why so complicated to tell. It depends I have some frogs that call during the day simply because they want to and majority of my frogs croak during the night.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!