White spots on axolotl

chrisleonard

Reaction score
Country
United States
My axolotl has white spots on its gills feet and fin is this something i should be worried about?also when i try to feed it i'll drop the pellets on its head but then it still won't eat it.

Attachments

• Oct24_0001.jpg
    Oct24_0001.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 11,032
Hi,

Do you have any pics of these spots??

It may be a fungal/bacterial infection,

This can sometimes be due to high nitrates in the tank.

How often do you do your water changes?,What is the regular temp your tank is at??

It may not be eating due to this spots?,Do you give your axolotl a varied diet,Earthworms,Bloodworms ect??

;)

i just put up a picture and i just got him yesterday but his gills are starting to move foward too and i've been changing a gallon every day/ 2 days and its from like 68 to 66 degrees Fahrenheit.

Hi,

So this just broke out from today?

Did you cycle the tank before you placed him in like at least two days before??

How big is the tank?,Are you treating the water before adding into his tank?,You should only need to do at least a 20% water change weekly to keep nitrates down and test water with test kits to check nitrate levels.

Is the spots furry like cotton wool?

Gills curling forward can be a sign of stress but i do have few like that since i got them and they are fine,Its when their tail curls you should take note.

the spots dont look furry but what do you mean his tail curls up? like sideways or like rolls. and im pretty sure the spots where on there when i got him too but im hoping that it'll just go away or he just found a rock to eat somewhere and he just waiting to get it out. the tank is a 10 gallon and i do treat the water before i put it in. and the gills yesterday were not curled forward as much as they are today. last night he almost died also tho cause he got sucked up into the air tube and idk how long he was in there for but i got him out.

Hi,

When i got one of my axolotls the tip his tail was sticking out sideways when he was in a still position instead of completly straight.

Im a bit confused the spots were there when you got him?

What do you mean by found a rock and waiting to get it out?

Do you think that he has ate gravel?

he might of eatin a few small rocks that i couldnt get out of the tank but im not sure. and the spots were there when i got him im pretty sure

Hi,

I see that your tank has a clear bottom so i take it the gravel was in before and you removed it cause he swallowed some and changed it to a bare tank?

Your last message never came through completly the last reply i gave you.

So the poor thing got sucked up the air tube?,what kind ov pump do you have in thhe tank?

I cant blame it for being stressed poor thing i would say you should fridge your axie,this allows them to destress see attched link

Axolotl Sanctuary

As for the spots if it is a bacterial infection this fridging should slow this down and a trip to the vet may be in order.

I have a golden axolotl with white markings all over it but ive never seen markings like that on a tail,so im not completly sure.

But when you do fridge him i would cycle his tank and leave it until he returns.

Im hoping someone else can confirm if this is actually a bacterial infection?

Hope this helps!:happy:

thanks i have a 10 gallon whisper one and i did have an airstone but i broke it when i was goin crazy about him gettin sucked up into the tank and no i took the rocks out before i just could get it all out. and how much should i cycle the tank? also how much is it to bring it to a vet? and i might just try a salt bath if it is.

Hi,

Not to sure on the american types of pumps, I use a Internal filter but poke it down below the surface with a airline so i just gives out a slow current through the top of the water, i know its pro not the best but i will be upgrading my pumps at somepoint soon.

If this is a bacterial infection a salt bath will do nothing to get rid of this,if it has a fungus it would be ok to salt bath.

If you think it has ate gravel also putting it in the fridge is supposed to make axies poop more often so it may pass it through then and remove it right away or may swallow them again.

As for the tank i would just leave it the way it is,and just check the nitrates Ph before returning the axie to the tank.

Vet cost no idea to be honest ive not had to take any of my axolotls to the vet yet,fingers crossed!!!

Anywhoo i will touch base with you later,follow the fridging and im sure another member will advise if this is bacterial.

Off to bed its 4am in Scotland. lol :p

They look like normal spots that are on the Golden Albino too me. Need more picks to be sure.
Also most Axies dont eat everyday, I have one who only eats every two weeks. There are alot of things that sould factor into the eating thing.
Like stress.

Those white spots are normal pigmentation. There are no infections of any sort.

thanks they do look that just they're all over his body for the most part.
thanks for your help

They look like normal spots for a golden albino.
Some axies will not eat pellets.
So if he hasn't succesfully eaten them now or before I would suggest moving to a different food.
:)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back