AXOLOTL getting out of water will he survive!!!!!HELP

Aaron71w

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I had put my axolotl in the fridge but the lid I had on it was just on top of it but my axolotl manage to jump and I think he mite have been out of water for 30 mins he had thrown up all he had eaten and his poop I have put him back the container but now I have wieghed it down with rocks he is still alive very slugish do you think he will survive I an really worried that he managed to knock of the thing that was covering it

Just an update he does look a lot better though he's a bit more active I hope he gets through the night

The danger of him being out of water would be his inability to get enough Oxygen using just his lungs. Since this danger is no longer a threat, he will probably be ok.

So how long do you think an axolotl actually last out of water

Axolols do have lungs in addition to their gills. In extreme circumstances, such as this, they are able to use their lungs to breathe rather than relying on their gills. I don't have a time estimate for how long one would last out of water, but I don't think 30 mins is too big of a deal.

the main problem when an axie is out of the water is, that the slimy coat, which protects him for infiltration of bacteria runs dry and so he is at risk. You have to look for cold and clean water, more than you normally do.
It´s possible that your axies skin will shed during the next hours, but that´s only a healing process - so don´t worry.

Tina

Axies are fairly resilient creatures, however I'm glad you found him when you did. I am optimistic that he will recover is you continue to keep him in clean & cool water.

Regarding how long an axie can survive outside of water- I'm sure the answer to this question is closely correlated to the conditions of the environment. An axie out of water in a hot & dry environment would not last very long. I would rather not even think about this...

Best of luck!!

when i clean hes container how would you remove him just take him out of water and into the same temp water or do i try to keep him in water while he gets transferred

Aaron,

Most will tell you to have 2 containers set up for fridging. One for the axolotl now and one for when it's time to change the water. I think it is far less stressful for him to simply transfer from one container to another with the same temp water.

If you only have one container suitable for him, then store an extra batch of clean, dechlorinated water (same approximate volume) in a clean, sealed container in the fridge and do a water change on him in his container.

If a axolotl can regenerate lost limbs and gills etc im pretty sure with the right care he will survive.very hardy amphibians if given the right care.good luck mate.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back