The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Closed Thread

Old 9th March 2013   #221
Whitewolf89

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Whitewolf89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Metamorphed Axy...

Thats really cool, why is it some axolotls morph and some dont?

Old 9th March 2013   #222
CJ
(CJ1981)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: CJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf89 View Post
Thats really cool, why is it some axolotls morph and some dont?
Genetics or environmental factors e.g exposure to iodine

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions
Old 20th June 2013   #223
narny101
(narny101)

Nationality:
Rep: narny101 has shown reliable knowledge

Really cool, I wouldn't want to it to mine but a really cool transformation ��

Old 21st June 2013   #224
Tiago

Nationality:
Rep: Tiago is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, nice morphed axolotl :), I have two morphed axies and a regular one and I have set up a paludarium for them. I was wondering how much land vs water the morphed ones need and in what sort of tank you keep yours.

Thank you in advance!

Old 26th June 2013   #225
Aaron
(ThoseNewtsTho)
European Newt Group

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: ThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and information

The morphed one would need a setup similar to a morphed tiger salamander tank.
Moist substrate like coir or 100% organic topsoil(about 4 inches for burrowing) with hides(no peat or spaghnum or anything like thatin the soil with a water dish for a water source, the normal one just needs an aquatic setup

Old 29th July 2013   #226
Ryan Hancock
(Rhino)

Nationality:
Rep: Rhino is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks absolutely amazing

Old 28th October 2013   #227
Christian
(ChristianV)

Nationality:
Rep: ChristianV has shown reliable knowledge

Would love to see a albino GFP do this!

Old 22nd November 2013   #228
Alice in Wonderland
(zombieaddict)

Nationality:
Rep: zombieaddict has started on the right path

What a fascinating sticky topic! Mr. Lister was a gorgeous creature and his story definitely made for a very interesting read. Plus this topic is packed full of lotl knowledge! Thank you to Freeky for posting her story. Thank you to John as well for stickying this topic so that it's so easy to find.

It's kind of scary how many people have asked about how to force their lotls to morph. I can't wait to get mine but when they arrive, I expect them to stay in the aquarium I set up for them! Anyone who attempts to become a landlubber will have a very stern talking to before I give in and set up a completely new enclosure for them. I'm glad that the chances of that are slim because I don't really have the space for another tank!

Old 3rd April 2014   #229
Jake
(jakeztheone)

Nationality:
Rep: jakeztheone is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if anyone still reads this but - that is an absolutely gorgeous morphed being!!! I saw another morphing post with multiple morphs, wonder if anymore ended up morphing. I'd like to see some of the other color variations and pictures of the morphing process.

Old 3rd April 2014   #230
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

Try using google... they come up with oodles

Old 3rd April 2014   #231
nai live
(xxianxx)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeztheone View Post
I don't know if anyone still reads this but - that is an absolutely gorgeous morphed being!!! I saw another morphing post with multiple morphs, wonder if anymore ended up morphing. I'd like to see some of the other color variations and pictures of the morphing process.
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beg...-axolotls.html

Old 13th May 2014   #232
limnologist

Nationality:
Rep: limnologist has started on the right path

I am going to run tests on some wild-morphs as soon as they get older. I have kept many tiger salamanders that metamorphosed when theyre water got very low, I have a theory that axolotls might be able to do the same.

Old 13th May 2014   #233
Sweetie

Nationality:
Rep: Sweetie has shown reliable knowledge

How cruel. Why on earth would you do that? AXOLOTLS ARE NOT TIGER SALAMANDERS. Many experienced and knowledgeable people would debunk your 'theory', pointing out that unless the axolotl is born with a genetic predisposition to morph, it will be simply unable to do so, meaning that subjecting axolotls to unsuitable conditions in an effort to force them to morph will merely cause them extreme distress and usually kill them. Please reconsider this foolhardy idea.

Old 1st June 2014   #234
VinnyMacC

Nationality:
Rep: VinnyMacC is an unknown quantity at this point

this is why axos rock, they break all the rules ....can do what ever they want, when ever they want, to whom ever they want....be afraid

Old 25th June 2014   #235
TallTree01

Nationality:
Rep: TallTree01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, all this just goes to show what amazing creatures axolotls are.
It's a pity that so many people seek to exploit these animals.

Old 2nd July 2014   #236
Kristen
(ks85)

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: ks85 is an unknown quantity at this point

how awesome! I would be sad if mine meta, because I keep some salamanders too, but awesome of you for sharing!!! Right on!

Old 2nd July 2014   #237
Boomsloth
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Boomsloth has given good advice and informationBoomsloth has given good advice and informationBoomsloth has given good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by limnologist View Post
I am going to run tests on some wild-morphs as soon as they get older. I have kept many tiger salamanders that metamorphosed when theyre water got very low, I have a theory that axolotls might be able to do the same.

I believe it's already been confirmed that axolotls evolved into the neotenic state by lacking the hormones that most other salamanders use to morph. I understand you want to test out your theories but before any good scientist begins testing they do many many hours of research to understand variables or if it's even worth trying. Your experiment is testing a stress response in an animal that has gone through many generations of not needing to use that. Tiger salamanders while closely related to axolotls often lay their eggs in seasonal pools or ponds that naturally lower during the dry periods. Here is a thought that might help you, in most Asian markets that sell axolotls you will often see them being cramped in with only a few inches of water. Why have none of those ones morphed? I'm not trying to dissuade you from science just to remind you and anyone else that 90% of all experiments is doing research prior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 24th July 2014   #238
JM29

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: JM29 has given good advice and informationJM29 has given good advice and informationJM29 has given good advice and information

Useful litterature :

Voss S. R. & Shaffer H. B., 1997 : Adaptative evolution via a major gene effect : paedomorphosis in the mexican axolotl - Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA Vol. 94, pp. 1418514189.

Voss S. R. & Shaffer H. B., 2000 : Evolutionary genetics of metamorphic failure using wildcaught vs. laboratory axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) - Molecular Ecology (2000)
9, 14011407.

and, of course, axolotl.org

These papers (among others) point to the importance of the genetic background : not all axies can actually succeed in metamorphosis.

Old 1st December 2014   #239
aldeypop

Nationality:
Rep: aldeypop is an unknown quantity at this point

very curious as to how u noticed the start of this.... not sure if they need access to some sort of land to naturally and safely morph but say u hadnt noticed could he have died? but truly amazing and beautiful congrats

Old 4th February 2015   #240
taleajane

Nationality:
Rep: taleajane is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow. Fascinating to see how he turned out.
You did a great job :)

I know it's quite rare for them to morph: Does anyone have any statistics/numbers on how many do actually end up morphing per chance?

Closed Thread

Tags
ambystoma, ambystoma mexicanum, axolotl, axy, metamorph, metamorphed, metamorphosed axolotl, metamorphosing, mexicanum, morph