The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 29th May 2011   #1
michael
(axolotl141)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: axolotl141 has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately
Question How much should i feed my axolotl?

i feed smokey a worm each day and maybe one or two sinking pellets is this to much? and could you tell me how much i shoul feed her

axolotl141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011   #2
coral2reef

Nationality:
Rep: coral2reef is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How much should i feed my axolotl?

I feed mine roughly once every 3 days - and it's fairly chubby! ... However I don't use pellets - does yours eat it all? I always prepare too much food and end up throwing the rest away (or giving to my tropical fish) as it's so time consuming getting it all ready - I just go by the rule that the stomach should be about the same as its head. Mine makes it pretty obvious if it's hungry too

coral2reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011   #3
michael
(axolotl141)

Nationality:
Rep: axolotl141 has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately
Question Re: How much should i feed my axolotl?

what do you feed yours?

Old 29th May 2011   #4
Boo Penguin
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Boo Penguin has started on the right path

I feed my axi every 2-3 days. Normally she has about 4-6 small earthworms (you can buy them at your LFS normally... a large tub lasts me around a month). Or on the rare occasion bloodworms (but they are SOOOOOO messy).

But then again my girl is a piggy (my family teases her for being fat!!!) but I never overfeed her.

Anyways yours will soon come up with a way of letting you know when its hungry... mine begs for food when she's hungry.

Old 29th May 2011   #5
mewsie
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 5
Rep: mewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.org

It really depends on the size of the worm, how active and how old your axie is.

Ours each have one big worm (about 3/4 of the axies length when the worm stretches out) every other day, but they would eat every 5 minutes if I'd let them! We have to be able to resist their unblinking pretty little eyes and control their diet for them, fun as feeding time is.

If you look down on your axie from above, her tummy should be as wide as her head. This should help you keep tabs on whether you are feeding the right amount :)

mewsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011   #6
Vilya

Nationality:
Rep: Vilya is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to ask this question on your threat but I also have a similar question. I have two axies about 3.5 inches long. I feed them 4-6 next pellets a day and sometime a few blood worms on top of that. Is that too much? They always seem hungry whenever I go by and still want more to eat after that. So am I overfeeding?

Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011   #7
michael
(axolotl141)

Nationality:

well it is at least 4 months old and it seems pretty activebut some time it will walk some where and stay there for a bit and then walk some where else and it also swims abit like some times to get some where and also to gulp for some air.

Old 30th May 2011   #8
Boo Penguin
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by axolotl141 View Post
well it is at least 4 months old and it seems pretty activebut some time it will walk some where and stay there for a bit and then walk some where else and it also swims abit like some times to get some where and also to gulp for some air.
If its belly isn't bigger than its head then your not overfeeding... but I think its better to have a slightly plump axi rather than a skinny one

Plus at that age your axi is still growing so good nutrition is important

Old 30th May 2011   #9
Boo Penguin
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Sorry to ask this question on your threat but I also have a similar question. I have two axies about 3.5 inches long. I feed them 4-6 next pellets a day and sometime a few blood worms on top of that. Is that too much? They always seem hungry whenever I go by and still want more to eat after that. So am I overfeeding?
As I said belly to head ratio is the best measure of overfeeding... but newt pellets aren't the best diet for you axi's... earthworms are better

Old 31st May 2011   #10
michael
(axolotl141)

Nationality:

there actually axi pellets it says on the label axoltl foodand a pic of a cartoon axi i bought it from the local fish shop

Old 20th September 2014   #11
beverleyx

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Rep: beverleyx is an unknown quantity at this point

I have 2 x 10" adult axis , I dig up fresh worms and that Is solely what the eat , I try to feed them every 3 days as it takes the 3 days to process the food through their system , HOWEVER having said that they both beg when they see me , they both stand up on back legs and "float" , I have been known to feed them smaller worms daily

beverleyx is offline   Reply With Quote