The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl Gallery Post photos of axolotls and set-ups.

Old 10th October 2014   #1
LadyAquarius
(Bette)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 4
Rep: Bette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and information
Talking Gemma the Chimera!

If you haven't already, meet my very special axolotl! I was very lucky to get this rare color morph out of the very first batch of eggs from my female wild type Yoshi, and golden albino male El Dorado. She was hatched in early April 2014, and is already at least 7 inches I believe.

I am fairly certain that Gemma is a chimera, but it is possible that she (I think it's a she, anyway! Let me know what you think!) is some other unusual color type.

Whatever she is, I think she is so beautiful! I plan on having her bred in the future. Hopefully, this is possible and successful.

She has a great personality, and eats anything I throw at her. She loves red wigglers, as well as the pellets, and gets occasional treats of frozen blood worms.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140829_220312.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	39672   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140829_220638.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	39673   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140829_220252.jpg
Views:	1063
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	39674   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140829_220402.jpg
Views:	1592
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	39675   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140829_220330.jpg
Views:	667
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	39676  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140829_220832.jpg
Views:	1022
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	39677  

Old 10th October 2014   #2
LadyAquarius
(Bette)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Bette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and information
Default Re: Gemma the Chimera!

Here is the link to her baby picture album on caudata:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/members...harlequin.html

Old 11th October 2014   #3
Rikkoshaye

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Rikkoshaye has shown reliable knowledge

Oh wow she's gorgeous!

Rikkoshaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2014   #4
LadyAquarius
(Bette)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikkoshaye View Post
Oh wow she's gorgeous!
Thank you! And those pics are from a few weeks ago.. she has more freckles now on her face. She just keeps getting cuter

Old 12th October 2014   #5
Jessica
(blushed)

Nationality:
Rep: blushed has started on the right path

She's perfect! 💗

blushed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014   #6
Kaini
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Kaini has given good advice and informationKaini has given good advice and informationKaini has given good advice and information

Gorgeous! I'm jealous, a chimera is my dream lotl.

Old 29th October 2014   #7
RyanTheFishGuy
(RyanTheFIshGuy)

Nationality:
Rep: RyanTheFIshGuy has started on the right path

She is absolutely beautiful!
I envy you :)

RyanTheFIshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014   #8
nai live
(xxianxx)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I'm not sure it is a chimera, naturally occurring ones tend to be split down the middle lengthways, your axy looks like a patchwork one :-)

Old 29th October 2014   #9
LadyAquarius
(Bette)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanTheFIshGuy View Post
She is absolutely beautiful!
I envy you :)
Thank you! I confess to watching, admiring, and studying her every adorable move for far too long!

Old 29th October 2014   #10
LadyAquarius
(Bette)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxianxx View Post
I'm not sure it is a chimera, naturally occurring ones tend to be split down the middle lengthways, your axy looks like a patchwork one :-)
I really hope you are right! Wouldn't the chances of passing her unique color to offspring be much better if she is a patchwork/piebald axolotl?

Old 29th October 2014   #11
nai live
(xxianxx)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

The same people seem to get chimeras quite often, so potentially there could be a genetic cause. If the axy is not a chimera its pattern will be easy to fix with some line breeding.

Old 29th October 2014   #12
Gladwear

Nationality:
Rep: Gladwear is an unknown quantity at this point

She is beautiful!

Gladwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2014   #13
Sarah
(Spartacus)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 11
Comments: 5
Rep: Spartacus has shown reliable knowledge

She's potentially a mosaic, which is a combination of two cells into one (like a Chimera) but less perfect down the middle. So she shows two colour types at once, in a patchy sorta way. If she is, mosaicism isn't a breedable trait, but an accident during development, so hopefully she's not that! Just gorgeous

Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2014   #14
LadyAquarius
(Bette)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
She's potentially a mosaic, which is a combination of two cells into one (like a Chimera) but less perfect down the middle. So she shows two colour types at once, in a patchy sorta way. If she is, mosaicism isn't a breedable trait, but an accident during development, so hopefully she's not that! Just gorgeous
Thank you! I was wondering about mosaicism as well. Still trying to figure out if she is a he! I will have to post a few new pics.

Tags
axolotl, calico, chimera, gem, harlequin, piebald, rare colors, unusual colors