The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... Two popular genera of Asian newts, the crocodile newts are diverse of habit, habitat, and appearance. The Mandarin or Emperor Newt, Tylototriton shanjing, is highly sought after.

Old 29th August 2004   #1
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

One of my T. Kweichowensis got toe rot. it came in with perfect toes. They started rotting a couple weeks after I got it. The wounds were sticky and definately advancing. I decide to try getting some good advice to treat it from friends instead of blowing money at a vet. The advice recommended silvadene cream. It turns out I needed a perscription for silvadene and It's pretty expensive stuff. I opted for plan b. Of course the newt was isolated as soon as I saw the problem. I treated with triple antibiotic cream twice a day. I also treated with Furan-2 fish medicine. I removed the cork bark from the hospital tank for about 6 hours a day so the Tylototriton would be in the shallow treated water for about 6 hours a day. I did the treatment 2 days on 1 day without Furan-2 and 2 days back on. The toe rot appears to have stopped advancing and is no longer sticky. I would guess the Furan-2 cured the problem.

The "cured" animal is being kept in a bigger hospital tank with a smaller T. kweichowensis that always looks like it is walking around a corner. I bought the crooked animal 2nd hand. I am using vitamin and calcium supplements to see if it helps the slight bend.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2004   #2
jesper

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Those conditions are not reversible as far as I know, if a calcium deficiency has caused a skeletal deformation I mean.

Old 29th August 2004   #3
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Yea. I don't know about the bend. It is not real kinked but that particular salamander always looks like it is curled a little. I'm hoping that by good nutrition the bend won't get worse. If it is a nutritional problem it might be a good parent. If it is a genetic problem it might not be a good candidate for breeding.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2004   #4
erik

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I have had good luck reversing kinked salamanders(Salamandra babies) and lizards (alligator lizards). I just made sure the affected animal got more calcium/d3 and the kinks went away almost entirely. The problems were caught early and were not real severe.

Old 30th August 2004   #5
Tim Johnson
(TJ)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

This is somewhat related but then again not really Click the image to open in full size.

The other day I removed by T.kweichowensis for feeding and I immediately noticed what looked like toe rot. But upon closer inspection, it turned out to be just skin from shedding that had hardened around the toes, obscuring them. I set the newt in shallow water for 5 minutes and removed the lose skin once it softened.

With one of my two adult kweichowensis, however, the toes on one of its back feet are actually fused together. I also have a C.pyrrhogaster with a foot like this, and I just noticed the same thing in the pic of the mysterious Vietnamese Tylototriton that Henk just posted at:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/13/21356.jpg

What could account for this? A simple birth defect?

(Message edited by TJ on August 30, 2004)

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kweichowensis, rot, toe