The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 9th February 2007   #1
sarah

Gallery Images:
Comments:

My axi laid lots of eggs last night. Debating what to do! Does anyone know the percentage survival rate if I do try to hatch them?
Very new at this - just got my axi's last summer and wasn't expecting babies yet!!!

Old 9th February 2007   #2
lee

Gallery Images:
Comments:

we had over 300 babies now got 24 now a month old if that helps.they take alot of looking after when there born too but worth it.but there will be alot of weak ones what will die so be preped for quite a few deaths.where are the eggs now we put ours in two seprate tubs with an air stone in them both

Old 9th February 2007   #3
sarah

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thanks that does help! I couldn't cope with the thought of hundreds of the little blighters!!
We are going to transfer them into a smaller tank tomorrow morning with an air pump. We'll see what happens....think it's all quite exciting but from what I've been reading sounds like a challenge!!Click the image to open in full size.

Old 10th February 2007   #4
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I started with 20 eggs and got 20 subadults (of which I kept 8). If you raise a small number, the risk of losing any is much lower. Trying to raise a huge number of eggs is not a good idea, especially the first time. See if you can find other homes for some of the eggs.

Old 12th February 2007   #5
sarah

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thank you!
Quite a few of them have started to develop now!! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions soon!!
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 13th February 2007   #6
craig

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I believe the general survival percentage is as small as 2%, but obviously more can survive depending on the strength and health of the youngsters (generally based round the parents)

Tags
axi, eggs, lots

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 8th December 2019, 14:14 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.