The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 18th February 2008   #1
Levo

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Levo has started on the right path
Default Just got home

Well I have just got home with my axolotl, hes a good looking fella although he is looking a little stressed because of the car journey home. Nevertheless I have him back now and I wanted to know how do I introduce the axolotol to the tank? Do I keep him in the bag he has come in floating in the water so that he gets used to the water temperature as you would do with fish or should I just let him straight in?

Any other tips about a new axolotl are welcome.

Levo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008   #2
Sarah
(Saspotato)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 1
Rep: Saspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Leave the bag floating in the water for a bit so your axolotl becomes adjusted to the temperature.

For other tips try axolotl.org and if you still have questions, post them here :)

Saspotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008   #3
kapo
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: kapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Don't pour the water from the bag into the tank - in case the tank it came from originally may be contaminated/diseased (or have other germs) and you don't want it to mix with your tankwater. When you finally put him in the tank, empty the water out or pour the whole lot - axie and water into a container and then tip the water out and slide your axie into the tank.

kapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008   #4
Jay
(Kal El)

Nationality:
Rep: Kal El has given consistently good advice and informationKal El has given consistently good advice and informationKal El has given consistently good advice and informationKal El has given consistently good advice and information

Hello Levo,

You should never put an axolotl (or any other aquatic animal) directly from the plastic bag into your tank. For starters, the water from the aquarium/pet store could very well be contaminated and also the temperature within the bag will not match that of your tank. When I introducted my axolotl into her new tank, I floated the bag (sealed- or else it'll just sink! ) in the tank for about 20 minutes and then checked the temperature within the bag to see whether it had reached an equilibrium with the tank. Then I opened the bag (with it still floating in the tank, just hold onto it) and using a disposable pipette, I slowly introduced the tank water into the bag (i.e. a few drops per second). I continued doing this until the bag contained at least half of the tank water. Finally, using a fish net I scooped out my axolotl and gently let her into the tank and disposed of the plastic bag and the water within it.

Hope that helps mate!

Jay.

Kal El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008   #5
Levo

Nationality:
Rep: Levo has started on the right path

Thanks for the help guys, I did use common sense and keep him in the bag until the water was ready, I just thought I would check up that I am introducing him/her to the tank correctly. He is looking rather happy now. The tank is a little bare but I will add some plants to it soon but he has a hide and looks to be having fun exploring.

He is only small about 10 cm in length, how often should he be fed? I have some scrummy blood worm here for him.

Levo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008   #6
kapo
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: kapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

once or twice a day

kapo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
home