The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 15th September 2010   #41
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: Axolotl with bloated belly

Baytril is fine, I however do not know the quantities that you would need. Have a look at the search button, sitting on the green line, towards the top of the page. If you enter Baytril and axolotl you may find advice on dosage.

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010   #42
Leanne
(lea)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: lea has given consistently good advice and informationlea has given consistently good advice and informationlea has given consistently good advice and informationlea has given consistently good advice and information

I hope she gets better soon.
lea

lea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010   #43
Ron
(esoteric)

Nationality:
Rep: esoteric has shown reliable knowledgeesoteric has shown reliable knowledge

Excellent news ... i'm so glad she's on the mend. What's your axolotl's name and do you have pictures of her following her ordeal and do you have pictures of the stone?

esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2010   #44
Jessie
(jmknapp21)

Nationality:
Rep: jmknapp21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Finally, some pics for you all! I've attached a pic of both our baby and the stones she ingested. The stone on the left is the one she got out on her own, and the one on the right is the one that the vet removed. I included a standard Bic pen for size comparison.

As for her name -- well, it's The Tiniest. Basically, we started calling another one of our pets The Littlest as a nickname, and when we got The Tiniest, we started calling her that and it has just stuck. It's weird, but she is the tiniest pet we have. :)

She is very much enjoying her newly remodeled home with FloraBase and plants. She spends a lot of time hiding behind the plants, which is great for her (not so great for taking pictures). You may notice that her gills are not as full as normal -- that's because of her vet visit. But, we're looking forward to her growing them back! :)

Thanks again for all your help!
Jessie, Anna and The Tiniest
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1451.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	12106   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0153.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	12107  

jmknapp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010   #45
kuphie

Nationality:
Rep: kuphie has given good advice and informationkuphie has given good advice and informationkuphie has given good advice and information

ALRIGHT! Looks like you have two 1cm rocks! Congrats on the successful surgery. I've heard that recovery can be scary; that must have been an agonizing 45 minutes. Bet your glad the worst is over. SO, how is she doing as of lately, is she eating food yet? Did you give the Baytril IM or PO?

Old 21st September 2010   #46
Jessie
(jmknapp21)

Nationality:

She is doing awesome. She's eating like nothing ever happened -- or like she had a serious depletion of food over the last month. :)

We ended up skipping the antibiotics. She sloughed off the skin that was damaged on her sides, and she appears to be doing very well. We're keeping an eye on her, though, just to make sure nothing goes awry.

Old 21st September 2010   #47
Daz
(dazkeirle)

Nationality:
Rep: dazkeirle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgdazkeirle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgdazkeirle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgdazkeirle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgdazkeirle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgdazkeirle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Ok glad to see all is well.

You new tank is plant right? are those little balls gravel or the nutient balls I've seen at my Aquatics shop?

Does your axie eat them and is there any issue there?

Out of interest and for reference what was the financial cost for the vets and drugs etc.?

Old 21st September 2010   #48
Jessie
(jmknapp21)

Nationality:

The pellets on the bottom are FloraBase -- its a plant substrate that is recommended as a good substrate for plants that is axolotl safe. I haven't actually seen her eat any of them, but if she does, she should be ok.

The vet bill was about $200, so that's not too bad considering it could have been much much worse. Since we didn't end up giving her the Baytril, I can't tell you what the cost of that was.

Old 21st September 2010   #49
daremo
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: daremo has given good advice and informationdaremo has given good advice and information

so great!!!

I'm glad she's doing well :)

that tank looks great with the plants, can you post a picture of the whole thing?

Thanks

daremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010   #50
Neo
(sek)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 3
Rep: sek has shown reliable knowledgesek has shown reliable knowledge

That substrate looks excellent - is it easy to clean?

I'm so glad she is okay!

Old 25th September 2010   #51
Joy

Nationality:
Rep: Joy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I just wanted to add that I got my axie from my neighbor who had him in a tank w/ little gravel. I read that that's not good for them and took out the gravel. My little Scottie regurgitated 17 stones within a week. It was crazy. He went from looking 9months prego to a nice flat belly. I'll put a picture of him in here w/ all the stones and compare to my photo of him by my name. Slim and trim!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0260_2.jpg
Views:	3965
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	12164  

Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010   #52
juca1658
(juca1658)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: juca1658 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh dude, my axie did the same thing like 2 years ago. She's still alive. I was wondering why the heck she was so fat! Did some research, switched to sand, and weeks later, she pooped/puked one stone, then another, then another. I was surprized how sharp they looked. Can't imagine how it feels to have rocks with odd ends in your stomach. And yes, she had quite an appetite. Don't know how she did it. Must've puked it because I think that would've caused too much trauma to her lower intestines and anus. Just know that it may take WEEKS. Keep feeding like normal, I'd say.

Old 18th October 2010   #53
juca1658
(juca1658)

Nationality:
Rep: juca1658 is an unknown quantity at this point

P.S. Ended up switching the sand for HUGE river rocks. SO much easier to clean! And I mean HUGE, compared to the axie's mouth and head anyways. No way can they eat these suckers. Haven't had a problem. They do make the tank heavier though.

Old 18th October 2010   #54
Ed
(ted22)

Nationality:
Rep: ted22 has given consistently good advice and informationted22 has given consistently good advice and informationted22 has given consistently good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by juca1658 View Post
P.S. Ended up switching the sand for HUGE river rocks. SO much easier to clean! And I mean HUGE, compared to the axie's mouth and head anyways. No way can they eat these suckers. Haven't had a problem. They do make the tank heavier though.
Wow those stones on the xray are huge! You will actually find that sand is the best for keeping clean as all waste sits on top of it ready to be removed, with big stones there are many gaps where all sorts of waste and debris can get trapped in and effect the quality of the water (you may be finding it easier to keep clean as the stones are hiding all the waste), you will soon see this next time you do a large clean of the tank and remove the stones there will be a huge amount of debris trapped underneath them, this shouldnt be a problem if you stay ontop of it all with your tank maintenence but for the sake of maintaining high water quality and easy waste removal the sand would have been your best choice!

Ed

ted22 is offline   Reply With Quote