Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Type of soil to use???

broadbent30

Reaction score
hey every one,

im not sure which type of soil i should put in my tank for my morphing axolotl?

i went to bunings and tried to find the "cleanest" potting mix but im still not use if it will be safe for him it says its orgainic but biologicly active?

any ideas in potting mix will be ok for him?

Thanks

Michael

pepper

Reaction score
Well first, you probably have some type of salamander, not an axolotl.

And organic soil without fertilizers will be okay.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rather than potting soil, you might do better with plain old dirt from outdoors. If you are worried about infestation, bake at low temperature or microwave before use. The problem with potting soil is that it often contains fertilizers and other things that aren't good for sals.

dianabee

Reaction score
I buy top soil. There's no pesticides or other additives.
Also, as Jennewt suggests, I microwave the dirt before i put it in the tank.

broadbent30

Reaction score
Rather than potting soil, you might do better with plain old dirt from outdoors. If you are worried about infestation, bake at low temperature or microwave before use. The problem with potting soil is that it often contains fertilizers and other things that aren't good for sals.

How long would you say to microwave it??? i only have limestone and **** dirt around me and cant find any normal soil at bunnings???

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You just need to microwave it until it is very hot. I use a big glass pot for this, and monitor the temperature by feeling the outside of the pot. When it's very hot and the contents look "steamy", it's done. It won't be 100% sterile, but it will have killed almost anything that could be living in it. Note: I take no responsibility for the safety of this procedure! It is remotely possible that a rock could explode during microwaving (or baking, for that matter). Microwaving too long could also have other undesired effects!

If you really can't find any plain "dirt", pet stores do sell suitable substrates. I don't know what's available in AU, but here in the US we have coco-fiber (bed-a-beast) and various jungle-mix products that are soil-like.

spendday

Reaction score
Well first, you probably have some type of salamander, not an axolotl.

And organic soil without fertilizers will be okay.

it will be an axie all others are illegal in Australia they morph through injections of some hormone or something (personally I am against this practice as I see it as cruel) also i would go with orgainic potting soil

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1