Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Guy Intro

Elapid

Reaction score
'Just surfed in while looking for info on N. maculosus. I've just inherited a trio of the critters. I'm out in California and these are not common here. Over the years I've worked with several types of salamanders as well as other herps. I suppose the most interesting story I have to share is about a C.B. colony of neotenic Brown salamanders Ambystoma gracile that I established back in the 1970’s. The founder stock for the colony were a few wild animals caught in a local stream where A. gracile congregated in spring and migrated upstream to spawn. About 1 in 50 of these salamanders were neotenic and mixed in with the fully transformed adults. I don’t know if anyone is working with A. gracile today or what photos are available but the animals I had were similar to wild type Axolotls but being a little thicker and colored an even dark brown with very fine black markings to no markings of any color. In 1976 I was able to produce a some A. gracile x A. mexicanum hybrids which retained neotenic characteristics at least until early 1979. These hybrid animals were overall dark brown with heavy black spotting and bars. I have some old photos somewhere that I’ll dig up and scan if anyone is interested. Among the several aquatic salamander species I kept during this same period were a group of 3 large wild caught neotenic Pacific Giant Salamanders Dicamptodon ensatus ( these might have been D. tenebrosos) and a pair of. N. maculosus but the only breeding successes were A. gracile and A. mexicanum and the hybridization of these species. All of this was done in a 2 bedroom apartment. Tanks were everywhere! In 1979 I got engaged and my soon to be bride gave me the ultimatum “me or the salamanders” and the salamanders became history. At that time I did not know anyone else who shared my interest in keeping and working with aquatic salamanders. Times have sure changed. I hope to hang around here some and lean a thing or two from this group. Kind Regards to All, Elapid

Critter Mom

Reaction score
Hi and welcome! I would be interested in seeing them to!! I look forward to seeing you around. :D

Have a great day!:happy:
Critter Mom

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I share your interest in aquatic salamanders, and I too have a N. maculosus.

Your story sounds very interesting, and pictures would be great.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!