Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Intro

Choucksolace

Reaction score
Greetings all,
I'm Laura and I'm from Williamsport, PA, USA. I don't currently have any newts or salamanders but am interested in learning more about them and hopefully getting some soon. I'm no stranger to exotics as I'm presently owned by a leopard gecko, a fancy mouse, a Russian tortoise, two African dwarf frogs, and a leech. I recently lost my two firebelly toads, which left me with an empty ten gallon tank. With a few modifications, I'm hoping it will make a good home for a small semi-aquatic newt, maybe a C. orientalis or T. granulosa.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Laura

jclee

Reaction score
I must admit that I'm curious about the leech. How big was it? Did it have its own enclosure? Or was it an accidental resident of another tank?

Choucksolace

Reaction score
I must admit that I'm curious about the leech. How big was it? Did it have its own enclosure? Or was it an accidental resident of another tank?

Yeah, the leech always raises a few eyebrows. Hippocrates is a medicinal leech raised by a lab. He (leeches are hermaphrodites, but I call him a he) was purchased online by a friend's 15-year-old son who heard a rumor that you can get high by letting a leech suck on you (you can't). Fortunately, his mom intercepted the leech when it arrived in the mail and, unable to return him, placed him in my tender loving care. He's about four inches long when he's completely stretched out. He lives in a one gallon bowl and I feed him raw beef liver every few months, as they tend not to eat more frequently. I let him crawl around on my hand occasionally and he'll sort of latch on but never actually tries to feed. I don't think I taste good, lol.
Laura

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1