Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Chiller for 20 gallon tank??

mmuumi

Reaction score
Thank you so much, I am printing all the answers out!!!:)))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmuumi

Reaction score
And I'm totally not handy and not DYI:))))) my husband is, he made me an awesome custom tank lid with holes and stuff out of plastic glass or whatever it's called, but with chilling I'm prepared to spend and be sure everything works perfectly - so that I can sleep at night:)))) mind you, it's winter in Australia now (17с at home and in the tank) so I'm hoping to have enough time to save money and install everything before the heat!
Thank you soooooo much for the detailed info!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mshine1217

Reaction score
I also have been searching the forum for information on chillers. I live in SW Montana and temperatures are not normally a problem, except for a couple months of the year. I can't rationalize the price of commercial chillers for this short period of time of use, freezing bottles of water that only last for a few hours is too labor intensive. I went onto YouTube and found this DIY project that is simple and inexpensive. My husband will be setting it up for me this weekend and my 'Lotl's should be in heaven.

http://youtu.be/n5s8Cu59-NM?list=UUM9oZkV3tGJuUUhgZaiGZkQ

Last edited:

allied123

Reaction score
I've actually seen that video before and honestly it doesn't seem like it would work considering you're gonna be pumping a couple hundred gallons an hour and water takes so long to cool...I'm assuming you would just pump less water but still...and I don't know where he's buying supplies but a new mini fridge that size is closer to $200 but still less than a chiller granted... (sorry if any of this sounded mean or condescending it's not what I meant)

it's an idea that's really interesting to me I just don't understand, please tell me how it works for you! and your tank size and how many degrees it cooled your tank once you get it up and running and figured out, best of luck!

mackinthebox

Reaction score
allied, it does work, ive seen a few people on here and salt water forums that have used it before
I have a HOB filter on my 20 gallon that moves around 300 gallons per hour and my peltier chiller I created chills the water nicely
Without the chiller temps are around 76 degrees F
With the chiller theyre around 64 degrees F
Water takes a while to chill but it also takes about as long to warm back up

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!