Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Floating, Possible Diet Change?

LiliTi

Reaction score
Hey there!
I've got a very young Leucistic Axi at home. She's only an inch long or so and from what I was told on here, that would make her about a month or so old. For the past couple of days it seems like she is having a hard time staying at the bottom of her tank. Her bottom will start to float up to the top randomly and it seems like she is spending a lot of energy going up and down but never settling at the bottom like she was when we first got her over a week ago.
Her water parameters are Nitrites 0, Nitrates 0, Ammonia 0, PH is sitting between 8.0 - 8.2 (that needs to come down, doesn't it?) and I have a floating log that sits under her filter to help disperse the flow. I have been switching her filter off for extended periods just to give her some relief from the current. It isn't too bad but she is just so small I was worried her floating had to do with the current but even off, she is still having issues.
Her diet right now has mainly been frozen bloodworms and last night I gave her one small piece of a freeze-dried gammarus shrimp just to see if she liked it for future treats. Should I start getting nightcrawlers and chopping them up for her? I've read that that is the most nutritious food for her and that sometimes freeze-dried or frozen can contribute to gas which can make them float. She is eating well and has a bare bottom tank right now so no gravel scare or issues with sand. Maybe I'm just paranoid and she is totally fine. ;) Any advice?

LiliTi

Reaction score
Also I wanted to state that her tank has been a little warm as well, I'm going to do a water change today and cool the water with her in a separate container to around 16-18 c. Right now it is sitting at 20 c. Just in case that has any significance!

keiko

Reaction score
Don't turn the filter off. It will destroy the good bacteria in the filter if it's off for long.

Young axies can sometimes be more prone to floating. If the axie is eating and acting fine then I wouldn't worry too much yet. You could get some floating plants to provide safety and something for the axie to hold on to.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Feeding earthworm or nightcrawler would be good, chopping them as needed. Frozen and Freeze-dried food especially are nutritionally incomplete and shouldn't be used as a staple diet, but for treats if anything.

LiliTi

Reaction score
That makes a lot of sense about the filter. I'll be sure to leave it on for her. Thank you so much for the reply! I thought I might just be an overly concerned Axi Mom. :D

LiliTi

Reaction score
And Earthworms it is! I figured that a switch would be good no matter what. Thank you both! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!