Sterilizing / decontaminating after death

Simland

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi,

I was wondering how you guys sterilize your terrariums to prepare them for new occupants after a death (especially if you are not entirely sure of the cause of death).

Wood and rock are easy, but what about the terrarium itself and the rest of the furniture (commercial resin or plastic water bowls, fake plants, real plants, and anything else you may have in there).

For general disinfection (i.e. disinfection to avoid catching something from my animals), I use rubbing alcohol (the one I have right now is 70% isopropyl alcohol, but I'm thinking of getting a more concentrated rubbing alcohol).

Is rubbing alcohol sufficient when your salamander may have died from a disease or parasite?

It evaporates relatively quickly, so, at least, the odds of poisoning your other salamander are pretty low as long as you don't put it right in.

Dilute chlorox is sufficient. I would be afraid of residue from rubbing alcohol.

Dilute chlorox is sufficient. I would be afraid of residue from rubbing alcohol.

Chlorox is bleach right? Don't they leave residue...? or do they evaporate?

What solution(as in water:chlorox ratio?) do you recommend?

Chlorox is bleach right? Don't they leave residue...? or do they evaporate?

What solution(as in water:chlorox ratio?) do you recommend?

You stole the words from my fingers.

I think alcohol evaporates pretty completely because it's evaporation point is so low (I guess there could be something else in there that could leave a residue), but I'm not sure if it's a strong enough disinfectant to kill all of the potential diseases and parasites, or if it stays on long enough to do the job properly.

About 5% chlorine bleach. It breaks down fairly fast. I use the dilute solution for about a 15 minutes soak. After I dump the chlorine bleach out I rinse or soak with tap water and dechlorinator. The dechlorinator probably isn't necessary if the equipment is not going to be used immediately.

About 5% chlorine bleach. It breaks down fairly fast. I use the dilute solution for about a 15 minutes soak. After I dump the chlorine bleach out I rinse or soak with tap water and dechlorinator. The dechlorinator probably isn't necessary if the equipment is not going to be used immediately.

Same procedure for substrate as well?

Im not so sure if I should soak my 0.6mm sugar-sized sand should be soaked in bleach... Or would a good rinse sort things out?

Thanks in advance :)

After I dump the chlorine bleach out I rinse or soak with tap water and dechlorinator. The dechlorinator probably isn't necessary if the equipment is not going to be used immediately.

How much dechlorinator should be used? Just enough for to remove the chlorine from the rinsing water? Or enough to cover for chlorine residues from the bleach?

I sort of remember reading about someone killing all of their newts by not using enough dechlorinator after a bleach decontamination, but they might have used pure bleach instead of a bleach solution...I don't remember...

Should a test be done before putting the new salamander in.

For instance: maybe filling part of the terrarium with dechlorinated water and testing it for chlorine? If so, are proper chlorine test kits available? Are the ones for pools suitable or are they meant only for concentrations that are too high?

So many questions, lol...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back