Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Is this fungus on my axi's gills?

Darfin

Reaction score
IMG_2953.jpg
Is that fungus on his gills or just coloration. If it is fungus, how can I fix it. I REALLY don't want to lose this guy and it's worrying me a lot. He still eats and moves around like normal but every f it is fungus I want to try to fix it before it becomes an issue.

Vespa

Reaction score
When my axolotl had a fungal infection (my fault, I didn't do frequent enough water changes and his sand went bad) it appeared as white blobs on his gills that slowly ate away at them. I cured it by scrubbing his tank and accessories clean, and using some "Myxazin" which I'd seen recommended on a post on this site. I think you're only meant to use half the dose stated on the bottle however, as axolotl are sensitive things! Hope that helps.

CarysR

Reaction score
If you're worried your axolotl might have fungus, treat it with a tea bath. The tannins in black tea are an antifungal, and a tea bath is in no way harmful to your axolotl. In the future, you can buy almond leaves (usually available at your LFS) to put in your tank which will release tannins in the water for the same effect.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!