Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Crazy Cool Christmas Tree w/Newt and Salamander

Providence

Reaction score
Yes I am new here. Just want to thank the Moderator and Members for all your insights and for providing this venue for all of us. :smile: So while choosing a Christmas tree this year my grand daughter and I were gifted a California Newt and Mole Salamander in the tree we picked. (Animals have a funny way of finding me.)

Anyhow, I know the animals came possibly from a tree farm in Alaska. Are these two native to Alaska? I wondered how these two species would wind up in my tree? Then I thought, maybe one type of tree came from Alaska (ie. Douglas Fir in one state) and another type (ie Noble Fir) came from California? I was told by the Christmas tree sales people that they had found a larger salamander only days before. So I assumed these animals breeding area was disrupted by the need for my family and others to have a Christmas tree this year. Who knew?

I researched pictures of these species on the internet. I learned the two amphibians, who found my family were a Mole Salamander and a California Newt. Any conservationist on this site with some insights as to where these guys are native to? I appreciate your insights or suggestions.

Also, "Moderator" I would love to post pictures but am finding it hard to upload to this site. Is there a FAQ I can read up on to post pictures here? Also, I have made a quick habitat I will explain below, separately with more questions regarding habitat.

Thanks for reading. :supercool:

Providence.

Providence

Reaction score
Re: Christmas Tree w/Newt and Salamander Habitat

I am new to Salamander and Newt's as pets. We found some in our Christmas Tree this year from a local home depot here in Southern California. I now have a California Newt and a Mole Salamander. Today we gave them live baby crickets. I fed them whole earthworms and wondered why they hadn't at them? I will try chopping them up. Any other suggestions appreciated? Until I purchase a permanent home (suggestions appreciated) I am keeping them in separate "Home Depot" orange buckets. I have placed rocks from Lake Havasu, CA, along with some sandy soil local to my yard in the buckets. I added chlorine free water too. I made it so there is a water area and earth area in the bucket. I also placed some of the Christmas tree trimmings in the bucket. My hope is to give them a good environment until I can build them a more permanent home. Also, I have no clue if they should be housed together or not? The orange bucket provides a red light heat affect from non direct sunlight from outside. I also place them under blue lights at night. Help from experts appreciated. I need to know if what I am doing is right or good for the animals and I need to know what is best when I create a more permanent habitat for them?

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is so cool! We have heard stories like this before, usually out west.
Here is how to post pics

Here are care sheets on
Taricha

Mole salamanders (just picking a random representational one)

Good luck! You can read about the range of these species on the care sheets. Keep us posted!

sde

Reaction score
I find it incredibly odd that Salamanders get wrapped up in Christmas trees, considering that this time of year (in most west coast areas) they should be underground in hibernation. It really puzzles me.

Anyway, pictures would be very useful in ID them, however I’m guessing the mole salamander is a Northwestern Salamander and the newt is a rough skinned (or California) newt.
In regards to them not eating the worms, it’s probablu because they are still stressed from being brought into a new environment. A lot of times when a salamander is taken from the wild into captivity it needs time to adjust and is overall more shy. This can last several days or several months depending on the species. A habitat with a lot of hiding areas will help them feel more secure and should get them comfortable enough to eat on their own over time.

Congratulations on your new pets!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!