My Marms plus horror story

aramcheck

Reaction score
Country
France
I finally joined the 21st century and got a (crapy) digital camera, so here are a couple of pictures of my marmsjuvies group. I got them from Morg at the end of last summer:

spider newt:
marmfern.jpg

and the rest of the group:
marmsgroup.jpg

The pictures were taken last Thursday, Saturday morning as I was putting some fresh bloodworms in the tank I distractedly counted the newts: 1,2,3,4 and... 4.

Alright, don't panic, you must have missed one: 1,2,3,4... no number 5.

At that point I get the 4 visible newts on my spare tank and start digging plants out and check everywhere, still no number 5.

One of the newts is missing . :eek:

I check the tank and fair enough, the lid is ever so slightly askew and now there is a tiny gap on the top corner. The worst thing is, my son had some friends sleeping over and I cannot stop wondering if I left the lid like that, or if the kids sneaked down the basement to have a look at my animals...

No time to wonders anyway, I get my torch and inspect the basement floor, under every bit of junk... nothing. I know the basement is damp enough and inhabited enough (slugs and woodlice abound) for the newt to survive some time, but nonetheless I leave some bloodworms on paper towel on two corners of the floor and turn the dehumidifier off.

After I spend most of Saturday coming down the basement every hour or so, to check on it, still no newt. Sunday morning, I spend about 1 hour on all four, checking tiny crevices... nothing.

Then my partner convinces me to come up for breakfast. As I do the washing up I can hear her calling me from the basement. She'd come down and had a look, and guess what she found, cover in muck, looking a bit dry in a corner! Number 5! Hooray.

So, I am going to change the design of my lid, and forevermore will have to listen to her explaining me how the Y chromosome is incompatible with good looking and searching skills... :D

no time to wonders anyway, i get my torch and inspect the basement floor, under every bit of junk... Nothing. I know the basement is damp enough and inhabited enough
so, i am going to change the design of my lid, and forevermore will have to listen to her explaining me how the y chromosome is incompatible with good looking and searching skills... :d

ahahahahaha!!! :d

Amusing story, glad you found it in the end. It's surprising just how long caudates can survive for in basements, especially when they are found naturally occuring in there.
(found a Triturus Sp that goes by the common name Palmate Newt) In my basement mid march last year, looked like a male wandering for its pond.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back