Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A 'just out of curiosity' question: handling

Tigerpuffer

Reaction score
i was wondering, what are the general thoughts on handling salamanders and newts?

Tappers

Reaction score
I have a bit of a 'look but don't touch' policy with all my 'phibs, all animals get moved in clear containers and these are never used more than once between cleanings.

Nobody's told my White's tree frogs though and the big females will often end up trying to shove my hands into their mouths when I feed them :D.

I now wet my hands before I feed or handle any of them just in case anyone makes an unexpected leap.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
There are several posts about this matter around the forum which you can find using the search engine. You´ll find that largely, it´s strongly recomended that you only handle a salamander/newt if absolutely necessary.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it's best done as seldom as possible, because their skin is so delicate and they are so sensitive to toxins, which are absorbed through their mucus-membrane skin. Things you might have on your hands can be bad for them--hand lotion, hot chicken wings, whatever you touch. If you handle them, wash your hands first and make sure there's no soap etc. residue left. Your hands should be wet, also. Then wash them afterwards as well, that's a good idea. Also, it's not like they're mammals, that like to be cuddled. They don't really care about that at all. They run to you because you bring them food.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, redirect all that energy you want to pick them up with into thinking up clever names. Ha ha, Chip. I have to admit, only a minority of my newts have names anymore. After that 40th alpestris, the well ran dry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!