Do Tylos hybridise?

Sean90

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
Sean
Most likely a silly question but I thought one worth asking. I have read studies of ambystoma hybridising and have found images of different tylo species kept in the same environment.
Some literature mentions within the genus mating behaviours are very similar or the same. So I was wondering can they make hybrids? And would they be sterile like ligers or fertile?

P.s not thinking of making any hybrids or mixing species asking out of being curious.

There is some potential evidence of natural hybridization, recently between T.verrucosus and T.shanjing, and possibly a more ancient event which gave rise to T.pseudoverrucosus.

The idea that different species must somehow be unable to interbreed is something of a myth. It's generally true that failure to interbreed tends to be proof of separate species status, but the converse argument is logically wrong. Two species [or genera] may be perfectly interfertile and still be separate entities. The critical point is not whether they CAN interbreed, but whether they DO, and the latter can be determined by many different things. There are very few ways to determine in advance whether any two species are compatible. There are a few traits which are highly likely to prevent breeding, but they tend to be inconvenient traits for hobbyists, such as chromosome number or morphology.

After posting this last night I did find a journal of a cross between T. taliangensis x T. shanjing but it was german.

Interesting. If you can provide a copy or a link to that information, it could be helpful and certainly would be appreciated. It is my suspicion that T.pseudoverrucosus is of hybrid origin between T.taliangensis and T.shanjing. The morphology suggests a significant connection with T.shanjing, but the mitochondrial DNA [the only DNA studied] indicates a close but not recent ancestry shared with T.taliangensis. To me this strongly suggests and ancient hybridization in which the strongest connection is actually with T.shanjing, but the mitochondria have all descended from a small founding group of T.taliangensis females.

A similar situation would explain the whole T.shanjing/T.verrucosus discussion: The type locality of the latter is very near to populations of T.shanjing, so it is quite possible that at the type locality of T.verrucosus, female mitochondria have been recently obtained by hybridization with T.shanjing. Since morphology was not considered and nuclear DNA was not studied, the conclusion, the evidence of them being a single species is extremely weak. Apparently, some brown populations of T.verrucosus may be under consideration as new species. This could well be simply a result of the above confusion: if T.shanjing and T.verrucosus at the type locality are one species, then orange populations and ONE population of brown specimens would have the name T.verrucosus, while potentially any other population of brown animals would need a new name if their mtDNA or other data indicate them to be different. On the other hand, if the type specimens of T.verrucosus are first generation hybrids, then the species name T.verrucosus would no longer be valid for ANY species. This would leave T.shanjing valid while pure brown populations would need a new name. Overall, I think some erroneous conclusions have been reached and further compounded, and the type locality of T.verrucosus is simply introgressed with mtDNA from a separate species.

Fleck J. (2008) Hybriden aus der Gattung der Krokodilmolche: Tylototriton taliangensis x T shanjing. Amphibia 7 (2) 17-18

Couldn't get a copy of it but here is the reference. Sorry can't find the link.
It is used as a reference in the new Threatened newts book as-well. There is a picture of both species mating.
Hope this helps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back