Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Aggression in Tylototriton species?

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Very curious about what views and information people will come out with in this thread but like I state, I am very curious lol

Obviously, people know that this species exhibits Mimicry/Flight behaviour such as Playing Dead, Aposematism (in some respects) etc, but does anyone know of any aggressive behavior such as a Fight behavior instead of flight? Or if this is commonly found in Captive Bred individuals?

I encountered something unusual and wanted to share it to find out from any other keeper if they have experienced the like before.

I took a photograph of one of the Tylototriton wenxianensis individuals earlier whilst on my hand to show a friend their size currently, and one of the photo's I took came out very oddly, it's mouth was wide open and pointed towards my hand as if it was or had bitten me lol It's perfectly healthy and both have nothing wrong with them at all, this individual in particular is very bold and doesn't appear to be afraid of me (I normally wear gloves whilst handling any animal but I didn't handle it for long)

Here is the photograph (Apologies for the photograph quality but it was the only photo like it as it was completely normal before and after) © :
tylototritonguy-albums-wen-xian-knobby-newts-tylototriton-wenxianensis-picture29356-wen-xian-knobby-newt-nomenclature-tylototriton-wenxianensis-gender-ratio-1-1-0-iucn-red-list-vulnerable-information-odd-very-peculiar-behaviour-not-sure-whether-yawning-biting-me-2013-these-my-own-photographs-please-ask-permission-before-using.jpg

Anyway, please let me know your thoughts about this, never really looked into this before with the genus especially with this species in particular. It might just be in shed but it's not done it since or before (I have photos before and after with a 4-5 sec time gap between them lol)

Thanks

TyloGuy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1