Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

European Crawlers

willowcat

Reaction score
It looks like I am going to be offering for sale cultured European Crawlers to this forum and other critter domain outlets. My worms are fed primarily Purina Worm Chow. Formulated just for worms.
My questions are
#1--....is there or could there be a demand for graded worms? I would still offer the full grown size worm, but also want to offer graded worm. Possibly a worm half the size of the adult. I know the Euro is smaller than the Canadian, but my thinking is the smaller worm would be easier for smaller newts, and possibly no cutting of the worm. Not that it bothers me. It does some though....
(I do not know why my type started to appear bold) (I am not yelling)
Anyway....question #2--above I had mentioned feeding the worms Worm Chow. Does anyone think that there could be a demand for a supplemental gut-loading. Lets say with vitamin A. Has anyone tried this or is anyone doing this, or am I thinking off base and wasting my time. My reasons for wanting to use vitamin A is because of the coloring aspects of the different
Carotenoids and I think that I have read somewhere that vitamin A is an asset to the different aspects in fertilily of females.
Thank you,
Trace

mshine1217

Reaction score
Hi Trace,

I do think that making different sizes available would be appreciated by many future purchasers. I have 3 wild type 'Lotl's who are monsters and would devour larger worms, while my two golden's are smaller and wouldn't be able to eat larger worms. I'm not fond of cutting worms into smaller pieces, so being able to have access to littler ones would be great.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1