Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Earthworms give axolotl parasites?

Axotolt

Reaction score
I've heard earthworms are the a good food source ? Is there any chance of these worms giving axolotls parasites or internal worms ?? And is it ok to get them at bait store or are they chemically enhanced to grow faster ?? ... I jus need some reassurance thankyou

Cacique

Reaction score
I believe the only chemically enhanced worm is literally a green color, which is something to make the worm attractive to fish while fishing and would the toxic to any kept pet. The only other concern would be pesticides, but I've read this more when looking around your home. Many people get the from bait shops, I get mine from the bait area at Walmart.

jAfFa CaKe

Reaction score
In theory, any live food could give your animal a parasite or some other pathogen. It's unlikely though. With regards to the bait shop, some have chemicals added to them, people on here often find 'glowing' earthworms. I'd say you can find some in your garden/yard.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I don't like baitworms because they are sometimes manure fed. I like my good homegrown. I don't think Belgian earthworms celebrate Thanksgiving but mine had a healthy portion of pumpkin today.

Some nematodes that earthworms carry are not parasitic to axolotls. The nematodes will pass through the axolotls digestive system without infesting the axolotl. The same thing can happen with crickets. You might detect parasites in a salamanders stool that are not parasitic to the salamander. They were just parasitic to the salamanders food.

markosaiden

Reaction score
There is a chance to get parasites from any food basically, but it is very unlikely. I think you can calmly get them at bait store and be good with it. Even if this shit happens, there are many different antiparasite agents and you can buy it anytime. A good example would be clean niclosamide powder which is used for decades already and recommended itself as an effective medicine against parasites. I personally used it for my guinea pig and it worked well. The parasites were gone, and the pet because alive as before. If anybody used antiparasit agents, you can share the results too.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1