Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamandra larvae born dead?

colin

Reaction score
Hi... it's been a loooooooooooooong time since my last post but I have been keeping amphibians this whole time and often have a read through the forums. I need the help of some fire salamander keepers please.

Last year I rekindled my interest with Salamandra and got 2 pairs of Solling Salamandra - over the last couple of days, one of my females has started to give birth to some larvae but they are still-born. I have never had this before when I kept the Gallaica type a few years ago... So far,from a 12cm female I have 5 larvae born dead in the last two days. The water is clean and safe for them and I haven't done anything different to them over the last several months.

I am wondering if temperature might be the issue as I still have them in their winter rest period, which seems them being about 14C during the day and 10 at night... too cold? Should I move the females to a warmer location for a while?

Thanks
Colin

Blackbun

Reaction score
With so many members on this forum you'd think someone might post something to support your situation. Any way, I'm looking through the web to see what I can find to help you. As well as considering salamanders I'd also see if there's information re some of the small lizards which give birth to living young eg lacerta vivipara. Might give some clues.

Here's one:

Caudata Culture Articles - Why Larvae Die

I'd not seen this one.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a friend that kept and bred Fire Salamanders in an outdoor habitat for many years, I'll try to contact him and ask if he has any pointers.

CarpeDiem

Reaction score
Hey I am new to owning a Fire Salamander. Is there anything I should know before purchasing a habitat? :angel:

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
The temperature should not be a problem. I'd look at if the female was eating properly and if the food was supplemented with calcium and or vitamin dusting. It is not unusual for a female fire salamander to throw some slugs (Unfertilized eggs) or dead larvae. The causes of this problem can be age, health, or nutrition related. Younger adults or real old fire salamanders often do not have as many viable larvae.

Salamandrin

Reaction score
I am still new to keeping salamanders and mine were too young still for a winter rest. These are only points I picked up from my reading.

According to that, winter rest should be die at around 6-8°C, or not at all, if an animal is too young or weakened for sind reason (which might include pregnancy?). The not quite low but not quite ideal temperatures then might have affected the mother's strength, causing the unborn larvae to not be given the nutrition needed anymore and even being expulsed (prematurely).
Also, I was wondering about the size of the mother. I guess it is the head and body length without tail. Otherwise she'd seem rather petite to me for an adult.

Both things, if my information is correct, might be a reason for the sad, dead larvae.

But as I say, this is only elaborate guessing in my part. Do not heed in case of doubt.

Gesendet von meinem SurfTab breeze 7.0 quad mit Tapatalk

colin

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. So far, no other larvae have appeared and since I have two females I am still hoping for some being born alive and well. I did a bit of digging online and apparently it can just happen sometimes.

Their diet is always dusted or gutloaded to ensure best nutritional value.
Thanks again

colin

Reaction score
Good news is that four larvae have now appeared alive and well. Bigger than the original ones that were dead, so maybe something was wrong with the first ones.
Cheers
Colin

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!