Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Alpine newts

A

amy

My alpine newts bred succesfully just after i got them and the larvae are doing very well. My adults have basically returned to land though. How long will they stay in this terrestrial phase. They return to the water for five minutes every now and then, but not much. Also - when can I expect the larvae to start wanting to come onto land and how long will they stay in their terrestrial phase? Thanks.

N

nate

Congrats on the breeding. They will likely stay terrestrial until late winter/early spring of next year.

The development of the larvae depends on temps and food availability. The more you feed, the faster they'll grow. Still, don't start keeping them above 70F if it can helped, then you start running the risk of heat stress. When nearing metamorphosis, your larvae will begin to look different...the skin will start becoming more granular, the head shape will change, and they will start to take on the pattern of an adult. So metamorphosis probably wont just sneak up on you unprepared. The less you feed, the smaller they will be at metamorphosis and the more problematic they will be as juveniles.

The juveniles will likely stay terrestrial for at least a year. Again, this is a growth related thing....the more you feed them, the faster they bulk up. I was able to get my alpestris juveniles into the water as aquatic sub-adults in just about a year's time (9 or 10 months). I fed them 95% chopped nightcrawlers, which I have found to be unequaled in bulking up young animals quickly.

K

kai

Nate said it pretty much all...

As a general rule of thumb try to keep the adults in a cool tank (below 20°C, 15°C works even better) and they'll stay in the aquatic phase much longer and re-enter the water earlier in autumn. Some individuals may even prefer a completely aquatic life style.

Best wishes,
kai

K

keegan

Hi Amy,
Congrats on successfull breeding... hope yer younguns are still doing alright... and.. sooo... will you be looking for a home for some of the offspring? *w*

keegan

A

amy

My baby alpines didn't do so well. I'm not sure exactly waht happened, but I only have about 10 left now. They are doing ok though, they are very shy and hard to feed, but they are enjoying bloodworms at the moment if I hand feed them. I have homes for them all though already, they seem to be quite popular. Unfortunately my male died a month or so ago. He stopped eating and I couln't persuade him at all. So i'm looking fo a new male so that I can hopefully have more success with the breeding next time around. I also have CFB babies now so it's a busy house!

C

chris

One male and one female of my alpines have crawled onto the cork bark in their aquarium. I'm pretty sure that this is a bit too early...
The female is still swollen with eggs. They almost only leave the water at night. The water temp is as low as I can get it - around 18c. What can I do? I am hoping to build an outdoor enclosure sometime soon in the garden, but untill then..?
Thanks
Chris

F

francesco

I keep my alpestris apuanus in a completely aquatic set up with just a stone 1cm beneath the water surface.Both adults and juveniles seem to do well in this way.Temperature never goes above 22°C because I keep them in my cellar(Rome is VERY hot in the summer!).To breed them I just moove the aquarium on the balcony from november to march.
Chris-I would try to force them in to water by removing the cork bark
Francesco

C

chris

When ther is no cork bark they hang onto the sides. Two of my 4 males have now escaped so I have made a more secure lid. I will leave thecork bark just for comfort, they only sit on it, and better that than hanging onto the glass...
Thanks, Chris

L

leonardo

hi Francesco!
I also keep some alpestris apuanus and I'm from Rome too!
where are your alpestris from?
bye
Leo

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1