Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ammonia Levels

leanne_and_jono

Reaction score
In our freshwater master test kit that we got the ammonia level readings go up in increments of 0.25ppm, so it goes from 0ppm to 0.25ppm to .50ppm up to 8ppm on our comparison chart.
i was wondering whether this is accurate enough because i've heard people saying that their kits go up in increments of 0.05ppm?
also what levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are dangerously high?
i figured i'd better know now so if it ever does happen i know to get our axolotls out before its to late.
cheers

Last edited:

kapo

Reaction score
You have the same type that I use - Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. Other people use different brands of test kits that have different increment charts/levels.

Dangerous levels for ammonia and nitrIte - basically anything over 0 ! Dangerous nitrAte levels are about 80+ levels.

When you have ammonia/nitrIte levels over 0, the best thing to do is to do an immediate 20-30% waterchange (no more than that). Then test it regularly, every day and continue to do the partial waterchanges after the test. This will keep any toxins in the water down so that it's safe enough for your axie/s to reside in. Don't go adding any chemicals to "fix" the ammonia/nitrite or nitrate. Invariably they are only temporary fixes and can cause more harm than good. Frequent partial waterchanges are usually the best course.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!