juvenile Cynops. O not as much time in the warter

Cizza

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Ciaran Ashton
My three juvenile Cynops. O dont spend that much time in the warter and when they do they never go to the bottom is this becuse they are to small and there for dont sink?

Help greatly appreciated thank you ciz.

I am guessing that you are referring to Cynops orientalis and not Cynops orphicus (please type out the full secondary name of the bionomial nomenclature (you can abbreviate Cynops as C. but it should be C. orientalis) otherwise it is a guess as to what you are referring.

If you read through this article http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Cynops/C_orientalis.shtml there is some discussion on these newts not entering the water. This is relevant as you have recently aquired these so they will be subject to the same stress as other wild caught C. orientalis.

I suspect that these are not juveniles but are simply young adults as this is a relatively small species.

Ed

Thanks ed.
But they will eat just they wont ever swim down in the warter they will only swim on the surface or stay on land!

Do you think they will adjust to spending more time in the warter?
And yeah sorry bout that they are C.Orientalis

Just a further not for clarification. Only the first part of the binomial should be capitalized (the C in Cynops) the secondary part of the binomial is not capitalized when used as part of the binomial (the o in orientalis) so it should look like Cynops orientalis or C. orientalis. Now on the boards, if there isn't any question as to the species that someone is referring to, you may see people using on the second part of the binomial name (such as shanjing for Tylototriton shanjing)) even though this isn't technically correct but is accepted as long as there isn't any confusion as to species. In those cases if shanjing starts the sentance it can be capitalized.

As noted in the article, it is not uncommon for C. orientalis to take a lot of time to revert back to the aquatic stage after becoming terrestrial. With Cynops species in general (at least with metamorphs) there is a temperature component to it with cooler temperatures (64-68 F (17.8 C -20 C) seems to work for most people) encouraging the newts to move back into the water.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back