Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

how long for ammonia to go down

Casaloxl

Reaction score
I have 2 axies in a 120L tank 38"x18"x14" CF700 cannister filter (spray arm of 1.5 ft attached so no current) 7 vallis plants and 2 inch slow airstone, my temp is between 18-23 which according to the article in caudata culture is acceptable. please dont tell me to lower the temp, because I will not, the article states it is acceptable and they are very healthy as the local vet (deals with axies often) who gives them a checkup agrees.
No substrate, bar about 10 big river stones about 2 inch in diameter. a cave and barrel for hidey holes

My axies are very healthy, perfect size and shape, no stress, or fungi, ever...

after 2 months of cycling we now read (old tank developed leaks.. so had to move them quick)

ammonia 2
nitrite .25
nitrate 10
Ph 7.8

am doing 10% water changes everyday

how long should it take for the ammonia to go down... they get fed 1 earthworm every 2 days each, I pull out the bits of plant that fall off and vaucuum up every day with turkey baster the little bits of disintegrated poops and mauled leaves..

madeve

Reaction score
I have been cycling for about as long as you have without any axies in my tank and my amonia just went down to 0 ppms a few days ago my other readings are similar to yours. From what I read it's a waiting game. I'm sure some more knowledgeable person might give you more specifics but I think you're doing things right for now.

gr33neyes

Reaction score
Ammonia and nitrite are naturally occurring, but relatively harmful compounds, Nitrate is relatively safe. When you first start cycling all these things take time to level out and settle. The bacteria that begin the process are the nitrosomas, these reproduce every 8 hours and convert ammonia to nitrites, this should take around 10 days during which time ammonia levels may be high. Frequent partial water changes will help. after 10 days another type of bacteria start to take over (nitrobacter) this converts the nitrites into nitrates, this takes around 30 days. again frequent partial water changes all help this process. Once all the friendly bacteria establish themselves your ammonia levels should be kept in check unless something happens to reduce these levels.

Casaloxl

Reaction score
cool thanks, that actually answers a few questions... muchly appreciated...

just thought i would share my readings about the temp...

" In captivity, any temperature between 14 and 22°C (57 to 72°F) is reasonable for adults. Any temperature over 25°C (77°F) is unsuitable for anything more than a few days. "

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_mexicanum.shtml

Casaloxl

Reaction score
ammoia down to 0 now... nitrite down nitrate up..

thank you..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1