Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Juvenile and an adult taricha living together.......

J

jens

I have a juvenile taricha for over month now and it is in a smaller tank, it has been eating regularly. I have an adult taricha in a larger tank. Would it be safe for the juvenile to co-exist with the adult?

ryan

Reaction score
Maybe, I think that poses a risk to the smaller one though. You could try when they are the same size, you'll have to keep an eye on them if you do put them together regardless of size.

J

jens

tiny compared to the adult. they just look so lonely. but big enough that i dont think the juvenile could be eaten.

F

foster

Jens,
The larger one may not try and devour the smaller one outright however during feeding it may inadvertently bite it if the two are close by. This could cause severe damage if not death. If it were me I would keep them separate. Do not worry about them being "lonely". Newts are generally not social animals outside of the breeding season and even then it is only for reproduction. They do not possess emotions.
Chip

J

jennifer

I agree, you don't need to worry about loneliness. I would say wait until the juvenile is larger.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!