Juvenile taricha g......yo

J

jens

i need some assistance in types of food my juvenile will eat. so far he/she ignores everything. shouldnt it have a voracious appetite and want to eat everything that crosses its path?

have you tried blackworms or chopped earthworms

yes i have put small earthworms cut up- and he/she ignores them- the worm pretty much crawls all over him/her.....

How big is the juveniles? Do you have a picture of him?
If you can get wax worms (the larvae of the wax moth) in a box with substrate you usually end up with lots of different sizes.

Hi Jen,

From your other post, it seems that you just found the animal a few days ago. It is probably a little stressed from the capture and environment change. Give it a bit of time to settle down.

Provide it with a nice hiding place (not in the same tank as "Mango"), keeping the lights low, and then leaving the food out several times during the day. Stay quiet if you need to watch and if it refuses, just leave it alone. Don't fret or try to push the worm onto the juvenile.

This is my opinion. From the stress of capture to not much body weight, taking a juvenile is always risky.

I named him/her Curry. I put 4 small pieces of worm in her dish and 3 remained. I put a waxworm in her tank, but the waxworm seems way to big for her. She is really really tiny- like barely 2inches.

If you manage to get these boxes with wax worms in a food substance (as opposed to 50 big fat wax worms in wood shavings) you can dig around for tiny ones. Your other taricha should like the big ones though!

Another good alternative for a newt that size might be enchytraea (small white earth worms, sold as aquarium fish food in water). How did you house your baby taricha, make sure the setup isn't too big (the one in the picture is the smallest critter keeper stores sell). The worms will crawl into the dirt but if the setup is humid enough, they'll be an easy prey for your newt.
I also keep a small tray with live blood worms in the setup, if I spray the setup once a day, the tray stays moist enough for them to survive. Maybe you can do something similar with black worms.
78605.jpg

hey I really appreciate everyone looking out! Curry lives in a very small environment. But I will try and locate some of those worms. Gosh, I feel like a real parent trying to make sure this juvey lives on!! very stressful!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back