Hello from a new member!!

adamskiard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there caudata!! Decided to finally join the forum after a year of owning my albino axie!! Found this site very informative and friendly, great site you got here with some real guru's :).
He is called alfie, had him just over a year, and he hasnt been without problems!! We chose him from a local'ish fish shop where they had 15+ babies im there. Alfie was the smallest (2 inches) and had a limb missing, and was by far the most active!!
We got him home and all was well, untill he swallowed a jelly like water cleaner ball which was accidently dropped in there by the misses. This made him very ill and he swelled up like a balloon. A month or so later, he finally started to poop it out after fridging etc, and is now left with some swollen tissue damage/lump on his belly, but this hasnt stopped him from day to day activites!!
He is very active for an axie, i mean he is always swimming about, rarely still unless hes sleeping, and feeding time goes mental!! Snapping the worms out of the turkey baster i use lol!! When he gets older he may calm down a little but it may be he temperament.
Now alfies matured i have come to the conclusion that he, may be a she lol!!! But "she" will stay alfie. What do you guys think??
Also you may see in the picture of her side that she has yellow spots imside her body, anyone have any ideas? She is a little fat i know lol.
Thats about it. Thanks for reading and any info on the spots would be great!!

Attachments

• 20140128_195348.jpg
    20140128_195348.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 333
  • 20140128_202023.jpg
    20140128_202023.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 200
  • 20140128_195448.jpg
    20140128_195448.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 337
See lump towards back of stomach.

Attachments

• 20140128_201910.jpg
    20140128_201910.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 191
  • 20140128_201951.jpg
    20140128_201951.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 198
  • 20140128_195540_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    20140128_195540_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 180
Welcome aboard!

She is a white albino, and the yellow markings are just the colour of her insides showing through the translucent skin. And yes, I think she's a she!
If she recovered from eating the conditioner pearl she should be OK, any damage is obviously not bothering her - if she's eating and pooping normally it's a good sign.

Yes, she is a little plump - what are you feeding her and how often? She should be on earthworms every other day or so at that size (looks about 8-9"?).

Hi and thanks for the speedy reply!! Yep, as i suspected alfie is a girl lol!! I suppose its sort of a unisex name?!
She eats ok yes, always seems hungry. I think she may still be struggling to poop a bit, she goes once a week, maybe longer. But they are huge when she does lol.
I feed her every other day with bloodworms (half a cube) and axie pellets, not at the same time though, alternate. It doesnt seem a lot really she cleans it up in no time. Ive just got a small worm farm to keep earthworms in and will be purchasing them on the weekend from the bait shop.
She is about 6 inches. Should i feed her 1 chopped worm every other day when i get them?

Does she ever pick the bloodworms up off the sand? It looks like she might have some ingested.

Good call on switching her to earthworms. They're the best staple food you can ask for, in my opinion.

No she doesnt. I was worried that she was ingesting sand so thats why i put that kidney bowl in there.
Yea i cant wait to start her on them. It may help with the pooping issue as i think it could be something to do with the pellets are more difficult to pass.

My axies LOVE their worms! I find pellets bung them up a little though. I would also say half a cube of bloodworm is not enough, mine that size take 10 cubes between 7 of them or 2 worms each ( I alternate because I am introducing my 5" juvies to earthworms).

Yep i agree with you, from what i read she should have a cube every other day or every 3 days but she is a fatty hence why i couldnt bring myself to do it lol!! She would be huge!!
I will see how she gets on with the worms, how much and how often is recommended? One every other day?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back