Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello. Ashamed to be part of the ..U…NO can’t write it

Gordon Marcel

Reaction score
Dear All, I am or perhaps rather i always have been a more than keen amateur Herpetologist, I can very clearly recall the local borough council in the very wealthy most desirable Oxfordshire [south] Bucks borders " area of outstanding natural beauty" situated on the escarpment of the gorgeous Chilterns escarpment filling in MY POND which in 1972 had all three species of indigenous newt in by todays standards unbelievable abundance!
It must have been where old jehovah placed it on creating it. But no in Ziggys 72 it was decided that the risk of a child falling in and drowning was far… far too great a risk!
They filled it in.I rescued the dispossessed until they no longer came out of the soil, I can’t really remember the logistics but forgive me, I kinda don’t mean it but oh yes i bloody well do the amphibians were a far better option in my nine/ten/fifty six year old opinions.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the site!
There have been plenty of newt ponds around here that have been ruined by the council. The population in my garden pond are there because they were rescued many years ago.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1