Trying to scratch inside gill!

A

amy

my axies have been forever ill. first anchor worm, then fungus and now this. bailey is restless and pacing up and down the tank and every now and again tries to put his foot inside his gill and scratch it. i had a look but i couldnt see anything in there like another anchor worm. could bad water quality cause this? im testing it tonight. im at school at the moment so its a bit tricky! has anyone else had an axie do this?

Amy, My babies have been doing this, it's actually fungus inside the gill I believe... I have found that it drifts away when they are given salt baths... I know that's what everyone recommends but definitely in this case it's worked for my kids, since yours have had fungus maybe this is it... good luck.

thanks a lot. the water quailty was perfect and i did a skin scraping which looked like he had lymphosintisis or something. that can have a type of fungus with it. he seems a bit calmer today so ill have a look again in his gills to see if there is anything. he was too twitchy to get a proper look yesterday. thanks very much. ill give that a go
happy.gif

my axie tryed to scratch its head once.he was quite sick. his gills had deteriorated and was coverd in little bumps. some people on here thought it might be a parasite annoying him. i gave him salt baths and everything cleared up and he hasnt scratched since.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back