Axolotl won't eat. PLEASE help.

Nevermind, I jumped the gun with the last post I made (I panic too quickly). I left the worms in his food dish and turned out the lights to leave him alone. It's been about 20 minutes and I just checked on him and found him sitting in the dish. I can't tell for sure but it looks like about half are gone. Again, from crawling on them he spread them out but I think he took maybe a bite at least, which is something. So I guess he's just not as hungry.

Out of curiosity, on water change days is it better to feed them before or after you change the water. I always thought before since then I'm not dirtying the new water but I've read that some offer food after to de-stress the axolotl after having their water disturbed. Or is it just preference and not matter?

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it matters much either, but I also prefer feeding before the water change for my fish tanks. For my axolotl tanks, the worms get eaten and don't dirty the water much until they get digested (in my mind, anyhow), so I tend to feed after.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back