Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Will Only Eat Black Worms

oceanmist

Reaction score
We have three axolotls. Two of them (Rose and Speckles) we got back in April and the other (Nebula) we just got on Sunday. The two we had before we bought at about 2 months old and we had issues getting them to eat. We tried black worms and they loved them. Rose has since moved to eating nightcrawlers and red wrigglers, but Speckles will only eat black worms. Nebula, who is slightly smaller, is also eating red wrigglers. We would really like to get Speckles eating the worms since they are waaaay cheaper and he makes such a mess eating the black worms.

We're currently trying to withhold the black worms, but it's been 3 days and he still won't eat the worms. He takes them, chews them for a moment, and then spits them back out. I've seen a little about soaking the worms in garlic but I can't really find anything saying it's safe for them.

He is also a healthy weight and size. We just really would like all 3 to be on the same food for money reasons. Also we waste so many black worms because lots of them just flow right out his gills.

Any ideas?

oceanmist

Reaction score
Does anyone have an ideas? I've been able to get him to eat some carnivore pellets, but we would still rather him eat earth worms.

We've tried soaking both red wrigglers and earth worms in SeaChem Garlic Guard as well as garlic juice and while interested, he won't take them and if he does he spits them right out. I've also tried cutting the earthworms into small pieces but he still won't take those. He's starting to get stressed any time we even put a worm near him. We also have some guppy fry that are too small for them right now, but we are hoping maybe he'll try and eat those when they're bigger.

Right now he has barely eaten in a few days since the shipment of black worms is late. We got him to eat a few mysis shrimp and some carnivore pellets. Nothing that will really fill him up.

I know we probably have to consider alternative foods for the rest of his life, but I'd really like to see him eat earth worms. I've seen how good it makes the other two look. We had a mishap with all three where the water got contaminated and they almost died. Nebula was the worst and Speckles did the best. They've all recovered now and are eating, but after we were able to get the other two to eat worms again, their gills grew back like crazy.

AxieWooper

Reaction score
When an axie bites into the worm it secretes a nasty toxin. Its not poisonous it just tastes real bad.

How big are the worms in relation to his head?

Have you tried bloodworm? it can be very nutritious and act as a bridging point onto other things such as red wrigglers and night crawlers.

Worst case scenario, he only eats the food pellets, but many axies can live a happy life on those pellets in the right quantities.

Perhaps maybe you could cut up the worm very small and mix it in with some blackworm and gradually warm him to the idea of other types of worm?

hope this was helpful and im always up for discussion

thanks, Benji

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!