Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help!!

Littlerats

Reaction score
I need help!

So this all started a few months ago,I did a water change and I came back an hour later to see 3 of my axolotls dead, bubbling at the skin and what appeared to be burns,I checked all the parameters and they were fine. I was stumped but carried on with raising the other babies. The next time I do a water change the same thing happens a baby dies. Now keep in mind I have two batches of eggs separated in 3 tubs and only one tub was being affected,so I thought maybe the tub is bad and chemicals are leaching into the water. So I moved them to tanks,haven't had a problem since today. I fed earthworms and did normal water changes and I come back to see two axolotls floating with bubbled skin and burns. Only two that were affected. I'm honestly stumped as to what is happening and I need help.

MnGuy

Reaction score
Sorry this is happening to you. I would contact your local municipality and ask about any special/different water treatments that may have occurred at those times. I recall seeing a fishkeeper's YouTube video about losing fish after a water change. He eventually discovered that the city had specifically treated the water for some reason.

Good luck.

Littlerats

Reaction score
I use well water,o there shouldn't be any chemicals,especially at this time of year. I'm thinking could have been gas bubble disease

Anniebeth

Reaction score
Maybe its something to do with the well water? Do you need to use tap safe? Maybe try a different water source? Good luck

Eternie

Reaction score
You shouldnt be using water such as Well or Tap water. Chemicals can easily be or get into those types of water,and can kill the Axies. I suggest if you have a Kroger near you to go get some Kroger Drinking Water, I find it is the best for them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!