Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding frequency for juveniles

FridaDiego

Reaction score
Hi, fairly new to the forum and axolotl ownership. Currently have 2 juvenile axolotls, Frida and Diego, that are about 6-8 months old, between 6-8cm in length. Currently we feed them 50g of frozen bloodworms per night. Curious about when we should increase the food amount and by how much because they haven't seemed to increase in size much? We've also tried cutting up night crawlers and fish pellets but they don't seem to have any interest in either. I've also read that at a certain point we should only be feeding them 2-3 times per week but I'm not sure what size that is, I was assuming once they're in the adult phase (at least 6 inches)? Thanks for any input in advance!
p.s.-That's Frida in the pic, she's had a crooked spine since we got her, but she seems to be doing ok otherwise. It does affect her movement and swimming style though, alittle bit more spastic an uncontrolled. Hoping it might improve with age?!

Attachments

• 20180110_112238.jpg
    20180110_112238.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 161

Eternie

Reaction score
Generally you want to feed them every other day. You also want to try feeding them SALMON Pellets rather than fish pellets, and they have to be a particular type. If you want I will send you via private message the email where you can buy special axolotl pellets, and if they don't like nightcrawlers, try red wigglers. Also give them about 30 minutes with food in tank, and whatever they don't eat within that time limit remove.

Eternie

Reaction score
Alright, most pet store pellets are not great for them, i suggest getting them from this person, he sells them for about $7.00 and its like a ziplock bag full of them:

shrommj@ptd.net

Glad I could help! :) If you need anything else feel free to contact me! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!