Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Water changes while cycling??

Reaction score
Ok, so I've been cycling my tank for 3 days now. I used ACE janitorial ammonia, and put in a few drops (maybe 1/8th tsp, at the most). The ammonia when I did that was at 4ppm. 3 days later,it is at 4ppm ammonia, 5ppm nitrite, and about 40-80ppm (I couldn'tdecide on the color). I have been using my filter, it is the TOM rapids mini cannister filter, and all I have in my tank is a hide and some aquarium sand. I have been using Prime water conditioner in my tank, and I use the API test tubes to test my parameters, not the test strips. I am going to the fish store later today to get some plants, hopefully the have some bacteria attached to them already lol. My question is, are these levels normal when cyclinga tank Should I do a partial water change or will that do more harm than good? :confused:

CatSpit

Reaction score
Yes, a partial water change is needed if your levels are hitting 5ppm as you could be killing off beneficial bacteria. From what i've read you want the levels to be between 2-3 ppm. Keep using your water conditioner to remove chlorine etc. before adding more water to the tank. Try a 15-20 % water change and re-test to see where you're at with your levels then.

CatSpit

Reaction score
2-3 ppm for ammonia and nitrite levels is suggested as it will cycle the tank and can be monitored more easily to ensure the level doesn't go above 5ppm. The cycle can stall if either ammonia or nitrites go above 5ppm as you may lose beneficial bacteria. Your levels are fine if you are able to keep them stable and below 5ppm. Partial water changes are good to do if you need to reduce the level(s) and won't hurt the cycling process as long as you condition your water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!