Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Is Epoxy Safe?

kla38

Reaction score
Hi everybody!
I'm in the process of setting up a bigger tank for my lotls and would appreciate some advice! :happy: I'm switching up my substrate as I'm tired of dealing with sucking up sand with water changes. I was browsing around when I came across a faux sand bottom idea that I like a lot! Long story short, you basically mix epoxy and sand together and spread it along the bottom of the aquarium. Now, I have no experience with epoxy or silicone or anything like that. So my questions are:

1. I know there's a non-toxic epoxy, but is this safe for my lotls? Have any of you used it in your axolotl aquarium?
2. If epoxy is a no go, do you think aquarium silicone would work for something like this? Or is it too thick or opaque? Again, I've never used this stuff.

Thanks for all your advice in advance! I'll keep researching these things in the meantime!

Here is the post by the way!
Faux Sandbeds, Going Bare Bottom With a More Natural Look | AquaNerd

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I used aquarium silicone to attach pebbles to a glass bottom and that worked fine, and since it was for aquariums I was completely sure it was safe.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!