Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New axie owner! Help appreciated :)

Kailynom

Reaction score
Hi! I’m a new axie mom and just want to know if I’m doing alright! If not feel free to give feedback it would be much appreciated.
I have 2 axolotls. The first is a 4-5 month old leucistic named Otis and the other is a 3.5 month old melanoid named Louis. Currently the two share a 50 gallon tank with an aqua clear filter. I cleaned the filter for the first time today using tap water which I later learned is wrong but it didn’t seem to affect them much they look happy. I test my water quality regularly and currently there is next to no ammonia or nitrite, the ph is 7, and they’re in medium general hardness. I also keep my tank between 18 and 20 degrees Celsius. I do about a 3 gallon water change daily because I feed them outside of the tank in a bucket so that their tank stays nice and clean. I got that tip from my breeder and I make sure my hands are very clean before handling them. Otis gets 3 worms every other day (he has a huge appetite) but I think I’m going to cut him down to 1 or 2. And Louis gets 2 blood worm cubes daily and I think I’ll cut him down to 1. I think Louis is a little skiddish I got him from my breeder after someone returned him because he was attacked by their cat. His tail is a little mangled looking but other than that he's fine. Louis is more chill but Otis loves to swim around in his tank and he also loves music! If you sing to him he’ll swim right up to the top of the tank and stick his head out as close as he can to you. It’s absolutely adorable! Please let me know if I’m doing anything wrong I want to keep my babies nice and happy. :) thanks

Attachments

• 96FBE634-3DC8-4FCD-96D9-F135C5E9DC8D.jpg
    96FBE634-3DC8-4FCD-96D9-F135C5E9DC8D.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 281
  • F4D690D6-53DB-475D-9A76-5193D905EB49.jpg
    F4D690D6-53DB-475D-9A76-5193D905EB49.jpg
    547.2 KB · Views: 234
  • 92D9FABD-A623-412C-AC68-68AFFD208C3F.jpg
    92D9FABD-A623-412C-AC68-68AFFD208C3F.jpg
    525.1 KB · Views: 248

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks good. I never had axies but I know make sure you have nothing the size of gravel in their tank they can swallow, it doesnt' look like you do.
You can also feel them inside a jar, tipped on it's side, then remove the jar with the uneaten portions. Might be less stressful than moving to a bucket.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Welcome! Tank sounds great. Keep an eye on the water parameters after you washed the filter in tap water in case it crashes. You've got sand and a big tank so it hopefully wont. When you do eventually replace filter media do one bit at a time, with at least a week between changing each part so it doesn't affect the cycle.
If feeding worms you don't really need to worry about them polluting the water so feeding outside of the tank isn't too necessary. The bloodworms will pollute it though, but like Otterwoman said a jar on it's side is a great way to do it, and easier on the axies. When I do my weekly water change I move my axies into a tub and feed them messy foods like bloodworms, frozen cubes, pellets. All other days are worm days :)
My two have big appetites too, they get a big worm every day, sometimes two if they're particularly crazy. They always swim up to the glass when I walk in the room, there's so much personality in these little guys!

VictoriaAxies

Reaction score
hello! I am also a new owner. I know a few things about them now seeing how I have had mine for almost two months now. just keep an eye on the ammonia in the water. they are sensitive to it. other than that they are really harty guys and can bounce back from almost anything!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!